HI! should i really be selling my APEX?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all, i'm a regular on retro car places, i love my old bikes too but they are in short supply.

I'm lucky enough to enjoy the novely of the original 80's BMX thing, the intro of Mountain bikes in my teens, and the rebirth of the BMX in the 90's

Anyway, all i have now thats 'old' or 'retro' is a Raleigh Apex i got off a mate.

I have shamelessly addes continental slicks XC riser bars, and attempted to remove 14 gears (but chain kept falling off!!) :LOL: and a new seat

I'm a tall dude and its a bit small so i'm hoping to sell to a mate (for more commuting) and buy a revolution courier race, for commute duties.

I already have a retro themed free agent BMX i built

, and a identiti Dr Jekyll 2006 4x bike. dont get out on em enough really. nows the time :)

A car mate who posts reads here told me about ya's

so HI, whats my Apex worth ? owt?!

DSCN0245.jpg

My Apex

DSCF2005.jpg

Free agent custom build on race frame 90's i think

bikefull.jpg

library pic, mines a white xl with white bros and Sunn rims w knobblies. :)

00007844.jpg

fits the bill perfectly?

I have bad memories of the Apex.

A mate had one when we were younger and the flex stem failed while I was on it. If it was me I'd send it to the scrapper. Sorry, shouldn't tar everything with the same brush an all but...

Ow...

funny you say that, the stem creaks. i thought it was the ' race baton' lightweight flat bars at first so swapped for riser item. maybe it is a bit dodgy, pity as i really really wanted a flex stem (ideally with a proflex) when i was 13,14 pretty much as all sus forks were £300+ :eek: :LOL:

rest of the bike is in good nick hardly used. i had a Orange clockwork/prestige back in 92 that was my fave XC bike, obv not as good but this Apex was a nice surprise with its reynolds tubes its pretty fast and easy to hop around on, a decent thing really.:)

Glad you made it over Mark! :p
I reckon if it's a bit small then your better off selling in the long run, although I really like the Apex!
When I worked at a Raleigh bike shop about 10 years ago (blimey that long ago already?!??! :shock: ) there was a couple of Apex frames stashed up in one of the store rooms! Wonder if theyr'e still there?

I like the possible replacement you showed me earlier but I reckon if you find something simular but retro it would be even better. Dawes had a nice line in 700c wheeled machines back in the day, and Trek I seem to remember has some nice ones in ther range in early to mid 90's. Or how about a Raleigh Pioneer? I had one of those in about '93, it was excellent! I used it offroad a lot which ultimately lead to the frame snapping, but it was abused a lot! :roll:

Nice BMX you have too!

Hi mate :)

Yeah a 17inch frame isn't probably best for a 6 foot 2 dude, and neither is 26in wheels on a 7 mile round commute. i end up riding outta the saddle like a BMX unless of course the wind is behind me then i just cruize :cool: :LOL:

If you are intersted for yourself though let me know.

I'm keem on that revolution, edinburgh bike co op shop is possibly best shop evAr really inpressed with the shops attutue and the staff. it seems ideal as a plug and play domestic but fun bike :D one dude in teh shop told me he had a 26in wheeled one and built into a MTB so must be decent.

As for retro bikes I'm really keen to get my mitts on a Pace, old skool orange, poss GT zaskar, or a proflex would be nice, or even something more obscure...

I got the bug but with all teh fans here prices are keen! :eek: and i'm not short of projects got a few cars to fix and my Identiti to get out on before it falls out with me.

my mate still rides his APEX for commuting to work everyday although that flexstem got sold a few years ago and replaced with a Titanium stem. He even rode it fully rigid at Ty Afan trails a few weeks ago. :twisted: Swears its one of the comfiest frames he's used.

Back