04 Marzocchi MX Comp Problem

danee74

Dirt Disciple
I have a pair of these that have a bit of an issue.

First of all I think they are quite flexy, not sure if they should be, my mate has a slightly older pair with the beefier crown and brace and they feel fine. I am a big fella though, 17.5 stone. :oops:

The worst problem is that when I hold on the front brake and push down on the left side the stantion goes down a few mm and shifts to the side a bit.

The forks have been fully stripped and rebuilt twice, new bushes and seals and oil. Oil is the same in both legs as is air pressure, all internals look fine also. After the rebuild the forks feel ok but after only one ride the fork feels flexy and the left leg has the problem.

Any ideas anyone?

I have a set of 04 MX comps, they flex like hell! but have done since new so not too bothered.

Im intrigued (spelling? im having an off night) as to what you mean about one side going down a bit. They do have quite a bit of flex in the lowers too. You can see this by holding the bike and pushing the wheel from side to side. This works the other way too, so if you push down and force a bit of an angle one side will be slightly further down than the other due to the combined flex of the slim crown and the lowers. If thats what you meant then its normal. A bit disconcerting, but normal. Several other zocchi forks Iv had did the same, but the 04 MX comp suffered more than most due to them trying to shave weight a bit.

Mine just get used for commuting and the odd after work ride down pretty smooth tracks so it doesn't bother me too much. I have seen them used pretty aggressively though.

Pip

Flex never a problem with the ones I had but hardly got any travel even with the pressure on just 35-40psi. I'm not that heavy though (but I did just eat four doughnuts) :oops:

Cheers Pip

That does sound similar to what I am experiencing, but only on the left leg. Its when I apply the front brake and push the wheel to the left, the left leg seems to drop a bit but I supose this could me due to flex.

Also it felt loads better after the rebuild until I done a few miles.

Dan

Re:

I had the same problem with Mx Comp 04 120mm ETA. Today I dissembled the fork and found the lower bushing in left leg floating free, which confirmed why the fork moved side way to the left when pushing laterally from the right leg. I used the old Manitou 28.6 stanchion to seat the lower bushing and also made one mod to the ETA side: cut 1cm MCU (Manitou) and put it on the top of the spring preload spacer.

Took a ride shortly: the flex were all gone and the fork rides soooooooooo much smoother and more plush.

Latest posts

Back