A Brake Solution Needed......

street

Retro Guru
This is a pretty basic kind of question and I appologise but i'm afraid all the bike knowledge once in my head seems to have dissolved.

I'm running cantilever brakes on my '93 Rockhopper Expert, but the headset i'm using has left no room for a cable hanger up front.
Short of swapping to a stem that can have the cable run through it (which I don't really want to do) what are my options?

I seem to remember Cannondale and Tektro doing some sort of toggle gubbins that bolts to your fork, but I can't find a pic of it. This is the closest i've found:

Shimano%20Cantilever%20Brake%20BR-R550.jpg

And I suppose I could use one of these Tektro brake hangers if I can find one:

tektro_hanger.jpg

But were there any other, nicer retro products that were available at the time that I could source for it to solve the problem? Or just something that I have forgotten about that I could use?

Thankyou!

the widget you mean was by cannondale and called a force 40, RBP tektro made a similar piece.

best pic I can find ➡️

7174pashleyvtocantikitbig_xl.jpg

I have (somewhere) a shimano 1" keyed washer/cable hanger if thats any use,

122ab7eb.jpg

replaces the washer you get in a normal threaded headset ?

think this was tektro , bolts into the fork

Attachments

• Picture 044 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 044 (Medium).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Picture 043 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 043 (Medium).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,035
Ahh yes, the force 40 thing, its all coming back to me now! :D
And yep the red one looks like the Tektro one I had on my bike back in the day.
Are these things easy to find, either the cannondale item or the Tektro? I've been looking around but havn't found one yet...

Cheers Retrobikeguy but I had to lose the washer on the headset just to get it on there.... Its a Shimano 105 item and i've been told they have a particularly high stack height?

Back