Cantilevers or v brakes

elma

Retro Guru
Just trying to decide what to mount on a 1990 rocky mountain.

Ive got a nos set of onza cantis waiting to go on but i'd like to stop,so thats when i thought i'd look for some v brakes.

So do i stick to period bits or be able to stop!

Anybody want to sell me some v brakes feel free to offer.

iain

Canti's work if you have descent blocks and set em up right .

or you could look around for some onza v's, longer arms so better stopping power.

On a 1990's bike how fast do you intend on going? I always found canti's set up right do the job proper-like, get some good period blocks like Mathauser and then you'll have the stopping power of V brakes with the squeel as well!

Onza HOs should work well enough with Kool Stop pads if they're set up right, and they'll be a bit more period-correct (but not really). :cool:

JS1500":ipzb3u39 said:
Onza HOs should work well enough with Kool Stop pads if they're set up right, and they'll be a bit more period-correct (but not really). :cool:

Yup, my H.O.'s with KoolStop Eagle II's stop better than any other rim brake i've had. That includes V's. Although to be fair, the chances of them ever seeing the sort of mud that shafts rim brakes is very slight :oops:

I love the look of cantis and the fact that they are period correct on my '93, but the stopping power wasn't as good as I remembered when I first rode it after years of riding V-brake/disk braked bikes..... but that may be because i'm now heavier than the last time I rode with cantis :oops:
That said I think i'll have a look at some better pads and play around with the set-up a bit. i was going to start a thread on reccomended canti brake pads but I think i'll get some good info from this thread :D

The best canti set up I've found is Suntour XC-Pro levers with XT lo pro cantilevers (can't remember which m number).

Most V-brakes are better than most cantis, anyone that says otherwise just hasn't set their 'V's up right, but retro biking isn't about having the best performing bikes is it :)

Back