What was your Inspiriation then...THE moment you knew...???

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok, what was your inspiration for getting into mountain bikes then?

That pivotal moment you can trace back to as the starting point for your now all encompassing anodised and machined addiction...

I figured mine was the buying of a Raleigh Tuff Burner after seeing BMX Bandits at the cinema and really yearning a Diamond Back Harry Leary Turbo (that came later)...

But actualy that's not mountain bikes is it, so, although a catalyst it may be, it's not the right path's turning point...

that was the concious decision to not join the gang at school that were into the TDF and (at the time) Peugeot steel racing bikes like the Tourmalet and Perthus Pro, but instead lean toward the newly forming sub culture of mtb'ers with their penchant for Kili Flyers and Muddy Fox's.

Used to feel so cool walking around with a saddle and seatpost at school.

Never looked back.

How about you?

I was up at University at Lancaster (near the Lakes and Dales) and some friends of friends were into mountain biking and they asked if I wanted to go one day. I'd always enjoyed cycling but not at any level. But doing it up (and down!) some bloody great mountain, that was it...hooked for life.

orange71":2w98kb4o said:
I was up at University at Lancaster (near the Lakes and Dales) and some friends of friends were into mountain biking and they asked if I wanted to go one day. I'd always enjoyed cycling but not at any level. But doing it up (and down!) some bloody great mountain, that was it...hooked for life.

at uni implying you didnt start till @ least 18yrs old? I wonder what the average age for starting riding mtbs is? I was riding on the mountain from 4yrs old (mainly pushin up & crashin down! :LOL: ) & didnt actually get a mtb till I was 11. (although riding a italia-yet from the age of 6 ;)

the day, back in 88ish when dad, freshly into his driving ban, came home with a lovely Dawes Ranger in burnt cherry... 25 speed, suntour thumbshifts, gold edged, Reynolds 531, beautifluly lugged and brazed joins, :) it was the way forward!!! :)

shame that bike met its maker when i rode it hard into a parked car!!! made a right mess of the head tube and forks!!!

scant":tn3h7zz9 said:
at uni implying you didnt start till @ least 18yrs old? I wonder what the average age for starting riding mtbs is? I was riding on the mountain from 4yrs old (mainly pushin up & crashin down! :LOL: ) & didnt actually get a mtb till I was 11. (although riding a italia-yet from the age of 6 ;)

Yes I was a very late starter - I was 20 before I started mountain biking (that was 1991)! Always cycled, but mainly crappy road bikes on-road.

mattpayne":1vjudvbm said:
shame that bike met its maker when i rode it hard into a parked car!!! made a right mess of the head tube and forks!!!

be honest matt, was there a girl involved? sounds like a classic case of "look at the <cough> eyes :roll: ;) <cough> on her"... CRASH! :LOL: ;)

Mike, have nearly done that way too many times.. :shock:

Been on bikes for as long as I can remember. Used to ride over fields, building sites, home made jumps and stuff. Then a friend got a 'MTB' not an ATB you know. A Raleigh mustang. Then I realised the old grifters I had been building up and trashing didn't really cut it. And a Mustang was mine. Think I was 12 or 13 at the time. Great chrsitmas prezzy :D :D

Back