Rules for bike building

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As per title really... what are the unwritten rules about component and frame marriages?

I'll start off with a couple:

Pace frames - thou shalt not fit "not-Pace" forks - thou shalt try and be as British as possible

Colnagos - never ever ever use anything but Campag or else

ruminate fiercely (and enjoy) :)

Bugger, i'm guilty :?
In fairness i bought it as built at a stupid price with Dura Ace

colnagoc401cz.jpg

Radar":2kudzbvd said:
Pace frames - thou shalt not fit "not-Pace" forks - thou shalt try and be as British as possible

Colnagos - never ever ever use anything but Campag or else

agreed on both. Have vague recollection of Brant Richards having a Pace built up with Marzocchis or some such. Found it offensive then.

Would extend Colnago to anything Italian.

How about this one

Though shalt not fit risers to anything built pre 1997

My 1987 Ozark came with risers. Does that mean I have to ride it with no handlebars? That's going to make things tricky....

terryhfs":2jok09sf said:

My 1987 Ozark came with risers. Does that mean I have to ride it with no handlebars? That's going to make things tricky....

Ha ha, good point well made. I've risers on my '85 Overbury's also.

Maybe I should say anything pre 1997 but post 1988 ish.

bugger I was looking for some early 90's risers to go on my GT, not for looks just to ease my back a bit, I guess they'll be hard to find then.

TracyP":1pfxlj2y said:
What about riser handlebars and bar ends? That should be a no-no. :D

why is this such a big deal? If it's coz it doesn't 'look' right, well there's plenty of other options equally 'bad'. Seems this comes up quite a lot. And yes I do have risers and bar ends and proud of it! :D

Back