Hello

Pogo

Retrobike Rider
Just signed up and posting to say 'Hi'.

It's been a few years since I rode my bike but now at the grand age of 43 I've decided to get it back on the trail. Spent the weekend taking it all apart and the poor thing is in a shocking state, bearings shot, surface rust, seat post seized, elastomers turned to hobnobs and tyres dried and cracked. Ooh, the shame!

Thanks to some info from this site I spoke to Tim today at Fork English and have ordered some new elastomers for my Pace forks. Didn't realise that my kit now classes as Retro, wait till they catch a load of my riding gear! :shock:

Hopefully in a week or so the old gal will be back in decent nick and I'll post a pic of her up here.

The frame is a De Kerf hardtail from '93 in Emerald Green, sexy :cool:

Will pop into the garage when I get home and take a pic of it in bits if you like.

Pogo":98d31qo9 said:
The frame is a De Kerf hardtail from '93 in Emerald Green, sexy :cool:

Sounds very tasty! Hope the restoration goes well for you.

Pics please and keep us posted ;)

yeah! welcome to RB, will all new members please prepare to develop an incurable addiction to buying shiny parts!

Welcome buddy ;) , sounds like a very nice bike you have there, more than worthwhile getting it back into action, plenty of help, advice and bits for sale on here should you need it, as others have said get some pics up when you can :)

Thanks for the welcome guys,
hopefully I filled my boots with buying shiny bits when I was young, free and single. Now it's a case of make do and mend, though my rear rim is looking VERY dodgy, a couple of spider fractures around two of the spokes looks like I could be needing a re-lace sometime.

Luckily the races all seem OK just new bearings needed, though I've yet to look at the headset bearings but they feel a-OK anyway. Hopefully when the silicon spray has soaked into the derailleurs they'll be shifting well too, just got to soak the chain in paraffin and that should be fine as well. There is a lot of finger crossing going on mind.

The worst looking bits are the patches of surface rust on the frame, mainly on the chainstay and under the BB where the paint has worn away. But while looking for replacement Pace elastomers I found they now do carbon fibre patches so I've ordered a set along with the elastomers.

Restoring the bike is straight forward, it's the old legs, lungs and heart which really need a recondition! ;)

There is a Hammerite product called Kurust, you can buy it in Halfords, paint some of that onto the bits of surface rust, it turns rust black and neutrelises it
;)

Aye, got the Kurust ready mate. Probably hammerite over the top of that before the carbon fibre thingies.

Back