How to extend steel steerer tube...?

Porschenut

Dirt Disciple
I have a Syncros rigid (threaded of course) that I'd like to extend by 1 cm. The original tube is pressed into the crown. Any ideas?

Thanks

Only solution I can come up with is seeking out an engineering shop that could cut the tube below the threaded portion and weld an insert in place, extending the stearer??

Ken

DO NOT WELD IT

If the steerer is pressed into the crown, press it out, get a new steerer made/bought, and press it in, simple to do in any engineering shop.

I've done it a couple of times for mates that were too tight to buy a new steerer for their forks when they changed frames.

HTH

John

Porschenut":acykkhyr said:
I have a Syncros rigid (threaded of course) that I'd like to extend by 1 cm. The original tube is pressed into the crown. Any ideas?

Thanks

A place over here in Aust has developed a way of safely extending steer tubes on forks - but that's probably not a lot of help for you.

I don't think the welding solution is particularly scary. Your whole bike is held together by welds.

andrewl":2xjptaiq said:
Porschenut":2xjptaiq said:

Thanks

A place over here in Aust has developed a way of safely extending steer tubes on forks - but that's probably not a lot of help for you.

Indeed, GripSport.. I emailed him a while back about doing exactly what you're after Jez.. His email below..

Hi Matt and thanks for the enquiry,
You will find our web site info about steerer tube extensions here http://www.gripsport.com.au/main.php?pa ... &prodID=42
Sorry, but we wont press out steerers to replace them as the structural integrity of the interface is just never the same again. You're better off extending the steerer or investing in new forks altogether.
Also, please note that extending a 1" steerer is no problem, except for the fact that you will not be able to use a standard stem and "quill" but will need to use an "A" headset and suitable stem instead. Unfortunately the system we use to extend the steerer will not allow a quilled stem to go down into the tube far enough.
Please don't hesitate to contact me personally if you have any further questions at all.

Cheers
Jon Weaving
GripSport Pty Ltd
1581 Main Road,
RESEARCH. Vic. 3095.
Ph (03) 9437 1954
www.gripsport.com.au

sounds like they just use a big overlap internally from new section before welding - makes sense, and see no reason why wouldn't be planty strong enough if done properly. Not really rocket science, which is handy, cos that would be no use for a bike.

You could butt weld it if... You are an extremely competent welder with a very good torch (to keep the heat local) and mitre the tubes perfectly.
However the overlap idea is much less reliant on individual skill and strengthens the joint. Nice.

Back