Is there anything wrong with a mish mash headset...???

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I only ask as i cant see any issue really apart from purist/cosmetic for using a bottom race of one headset with a top race of another?

No? yes? No?

Please do tell... :LOL:

Read some review yonks ago BITD which recommended it... Was a review of loads of diff headsets. Each one had strengths and weaknesses - bearings, seals, surfaces etc. End result suggested using a mavic (315 / 316 bleerah) top with something else like a (eg. TNT) bottom half. Idea being that the bottom had better seals or whatever and the top had better locking setup or build quality or something. Anyway, whatever. Yep thinks its fine. Don't be mixin' sizes though...!

No problems with it... it's great.

On my explosif I have a Kona Control Centre top so I can adjust it by hand, with an FSA Extreme Pro bottom which is cartridge and well sealed (the Kona bottom is rubbish with a big boot that holds the water in and rusts the bearings).

I have no problems with it... but my bikes are not built to look good :roll:

I think it is fine too. Ideal headset would be a stronglight X15 bottom (needle roller bearings) and a Mavic 316 top for light weight and ease of adjustment. :cool:

Go for it, I have run several bikes this way over the years, in fact the 'dale currently has a no-name tiawanese lower race and a Shimano STX on the top, no problems.

Back