Brake suggestions for '92 bike?

6.5x55

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Joining this place has got me thinking. My '92 Dave Yates has got ~2001 XT V brakes on the back and ~2001 Arch Rivals on the front. The brakes are faultless but seeing all the lovely bikes on here has got me thinking...

Should I go back to canti's? If yes, anyone selling any? And last question - my levers are the integrated XT 9-speed ones. Will they work with canti's or is the pull ratio wrong?

Edit: Almost forgot, has anyone got one of the Pace fork canti things and circlip that go at the top of the arch?

TIA :) .

Quite right, couldn't agree more, terrible modern things Vs, urgggh

Tell you what, I'll swap you some almost perfect LX cantis (1 set unused, 1 almost new) for those awful Vs of yours. Just shows what a kind citizen I am, always on the lookout for a good turn to do for someone. I'll even throw in some Kona High Command canti levers off a 94 Explosif. Can't say fairer than that, can I?

PS
V levers will give feeble braking with cantis. Canti levers were more powerful, as they had to be, so canti levers with Vs tends to be a bit ferocious, and V levers with cantis a bit feeble.

There's always these

And I thought one of the bike e-tailers was selling them for a very similar price, too?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
6.5x55":25yn3xv3 said:
Cheers Anthony, any chance of pic's?
errr, I was actually tongue in cheek there, but I guess you are too. Your brakes are worth far more than my LX, although I must confess I didn't know you could get new LX as cheap as the ad that Neil found.

Why don't you post up some pictures of your bike, so we can see what's bothering you? I would kind of agree with you if the kit you have on it looks wrong for the frame, but if it looks right and you enjoy riding it more with 21c kit I can't see the problem.

Here she is

P1000171.png

The brakes are awesome but this bike always had canti's back in the day. I guess Retrobike is just having it's affect on me :LOL: .

6.5x55":mzxsbrga said:
Here she is

P1000171.png

The brakes are awesome but this bike always had canti's back in the day. I guess Retrobike is just having it's affect on me :LOL: .
Well there's some other bits, there, that look a bit modern.

I wouldn't obsess about the brakes, unless you were determined to make the rest of it period.

spent saturday faffing about with cantis for the first time in several years
think i'll just fit vee's instead

if your gonna ride it i'd leave the vee's on it
garage queen fit the cantis

Back