Snowflake pattern spokes on my clockwork????

mk1benny

Retro Newbie
Can aanybody shed any light on these crazy spokes on my front wheel, its a F.I.R rim aaon i think it was built at STIFFS where i got the bike from [1995], Has any body got a snowflake patteren wheel? seen any? what were they for???? tell me tell me?? Go to GALLER&ARCIVE then USER ALBUMS and click on MY ORANGE CLOCKWORK 1995 PACE RC-35s to see the wheel

It was mainly done for looks, not seen much on wheel builds these days but fairly common back in the day. Makes for a weaker build if I recall correctly, but looks funky!

I have built a few snowflake wheels but not many in the last 10 or so years. In my experience with them, they make for a strong wheel (even stronger if you tie & solder the 'twists'). The design makes for a vertically unforgiving ride but at the same time, seems to relieve load on the head/elbow of each spoke. I say this because I built a snowflake for a Postie we used to look after. He came in EVERY day after his run with at least 1 broken spoke (DT Alpines with 2.3mm head/elbow) beacuse of the weight he carried in his panniers (~ 40kg) and his riding style (read; total lack of skill). When I built him a snowflake rear wheel (with DT Champion 2.0mm un-butted spokes), the issue simply dissappeared! I don't suggest building snowflakes for disc front wheels. The spokes get in the way of the disc caliper.

I'm actually contemplating building a couple of snowflakes for my pending Funk Pro Comp build...

They are done for the look, pure and simple.

No practical reason... if there was then we'd all be using them now ;)

Arran, surely DB spokes would help relieve the strain as they are more forgiving in the first place and build up a stronger wheel than plain gauge. Or are the Alpina Tripple butted I forget ?

I heard a great deal about snowflakes being naff for strength... personally I smashed a snowflaked front wheel for a decade with no real issues :D

I have a couple of front wheels with snowflake spokes, one of which was built in 1993 and has never had any issues. The rim has been replaced three times over the past 17 years as the sidewalls have worn out with all the Peak District grit they've been subjected to.
Still running the original spokes and wheels themselves have rarely needed any trueing or other attention. I love 'em.

As to the origin of snowflakes, I had heard that BITD a wheelbuilder had run out of the correct length spokes and discovered that adding a twist to spokes intended for 700c road wheels shortened them enough to use on 26 inch MTB wheels. People liked them and the fashion quickly spread.

FluffyChicken":1hqzfvvt said:
...Arran, surely DB spokes would help relieve the strain as they are more forgiving in the first place and build up a stronger wheel than plain gauge. Or are the Alpina Tripple butted I forget ?

DT Alpines are 2.3mm at the head, 1.8mm through the middle & 2.0mm at the threaded end. Gess you could call that 'tripple butted'?

drystonepaul":1hqzfvvt said:
...As to the origin of snowflakes, I had heard that BITD a wheelbuilder had run out of the correct length spokes and discovered that adding a twist to spokes intended for 700c road wheels shortened them enough to use on 26 inch MTB wheels. People liked them and the fashion quickly spread.

You only need an extra 4mm, surprisingly enough so the story you speak of is surely a myth (don't think it qualifies for 'urban legend status...).

Cool as a iceberg

2000582581_d7c461390f.jpg

Pickle":15g260ap said:
Cool as a iceberg

Too many twists. You're only supposed to do 1 full twist and send the spoke on to the eyelet it would have ended up in had you been doing a 3-cross build.

The wheel pictured would have major nipple tightening issues due to the extreme angle of spoke entry.

Arran":ng2ecmhk said:
Pickle":ng2ecmhk said:
Cool as a iceberg

Too many twists. You're only supposed to do 1 full twist and send the spoke on to the eyelet it would have ended up in had you been doing a 3-cross build.

The wheel pictured would have major nipple tightening issues due to the extreme angle of spoke entry.

I agree.

I think they look cool......but would I ride one, no chance! :LOL:

Back