'Orrible job!

6.5x55

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just received my Pace RC35 kevlar forks from Brocklanders023 and they looked fantastic on the outside. No scratches, all parts present and correct etc.

I took the two bolts out the leg bottoms and noticed the rebound elastomers were a bit crumbly - ho hum I thought. I pulled the legs off and tipped them up and only one elastomer fell out of each leg... I looked down the legs and there was an elastomer rotted into the bottom of each one :shock: . 10 minutes chopping them up with a very long flathead screw driver and I managed to get most of them out leaving behind all sorts of shredded bits of old rubber and grease in the tubes.

Feelling brave (and worried about the lovely shiney outsides of the legs) I tipped half a cup of brake and clutch cleaner into each leg and gave it a really good shake which seemed to get most of the crud out.
I've jsut ordered a set of elastomers from that American place and I'm currently in the process of using label clean spray to remove all the gunk left by removing the stickers.

All of which proves 2 things:

1: The resin they use on the legs is pretty inert stuff and
2: I have an unhealthy fascination with Pace forks :LOL: .

Hi 6.5. Glad they arrived ok ;) The elastomers must spoil very quickly once they start to go as I had them apart a few months ago and one set was fine but the other was on the way out but usable :shock: Hope they're what you were after.

They're great, really pleased with them :).

Interestingly, the elastomer kits the American place sells look like the jelly-type hard rubber elastomers you used to get in early Manitous where the genuine Pace ones are sponge based.

Anyhoo... Must. stop. buying. pace. forks... :LOL: .

6.5x55":1pfzjc4f said:
Interestingly, the elastomer kits the American place sells look like the jelly-type hard rubber elastomers you used to get in early Manitous where the genuine Pace ones are sponge based.

Stop right there!

Speak to member justbackdated on here. He is Mr Pace forks.

I had a similar experience with a set of Judy SL's. Opened them up and out fell what resembled compacted bread crumbs. Ace. gotta love elastomers.

Yep - dirty, stick, smelly breadcrumbs :eek:. That's why I'm glad the American company's ones are the rubber type, not the foam type :) .

Back