the unofficial 'cool' 1980's Reynolds 531/501 bike thread

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I personally love the generic 531/501 lugged Reynolds frames and thought that they could do with some love.

So, I though that theres enough photos on this site to start a topic and see if there are any more hiding out there.

Feel free to add some more, but to qualify, your bike needs the 3 piece 'reynolds' forks shown on each of the following:

Marmite King's recently acquired Dawes 'Wildcat'
p3150016_171.jpg

Mr.K's Overbury's
1984_andy_powell_overburys_of_bristol_s__153.jpg

The Guv's Overbury's
main.php

My mate Phil's early Saracen
saracen_651.jpg

Dawes Ranger
dawes_ranger_130.jpg

Dead Rat's Dead project:
5008_122352436170_586536170_3406421_4069151_n.jpg

giant-one's mystery Magura mount
dsc00103_103.jpg

Raliegh Team Banana
raleigh_banana_team_colours1_195.jpg

My own Generic special:
the_little_tank_557.jpg

some adverts:
main.php

overbury_120_113.jpg

legrandefromage":12lozdtv said:
Thats it! Ruin my bloody 80's thread with that poo

:roll:

duh, yoof of today.....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

dammit, i missed that 80's bit in my haste to show off my lugs :LOL:

A hand-built time trial frame by Alan Shorter from 531c, circa 1968. Note the three-quarter seat stays. Built for John Cornillie, Junior 25 champion of that year.

Called the E3 model, after the famous time trial course based on the A127 Southend Arterial Road. Photo was taken in 1982 and shows Mr Fat Ba5tard riding it:-

Untitled-1.jpg

This was the only 531c TT frame that I ever owned. My others were Ishiwata 017 (now, there's a name!!) as well as various Columbus and 531SL ones. Never owned a 753, much to my regret! :cool:

Noice!

My Dead Project has in fact just gained some wheels, bit modern for it ('97) granted but it's going to be a 7 speed cruiser / light tourer so another non-original rebuild anyway (and they'll look right from a distance). It also has a Brooks saddle and some cantis waiting patiently... so nurrr. But well done LGF, you have spurred me into action, I will get working a 'parts wanted' ad now!

:cool:

EDIT, my wanted thread:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=679416

Xander - have you seen that early red Saracen around town - usually parked up outside Battery Park or the library? It's a spit of the red one on this thread, has Avid ultimate brake levers (??!) and is our size... think we should track the owner down, pronto...

Mr K

mrkawasaki":sfqcb68t said:
Xander - have you seen that early red Saracen around town - usually parked up outside Battery Park or the library? It's a spit of the red one on this thread, has Avid ultimate brake levers (??!) and is our size... think we should track the owner down, pronto...

Mr K

yes, I've ogled it's nice frame and strange build a couple of times now... I will keep my eyes open!

Back