Apollo avalanche

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Anybody know anything about early appollo?
Theres a couple of old bikes in our workshop,one is a Raleigh mustang the other an Apollo avalanche
The Raleigh is obvious but the Apollo is confusing me mainly as i know nothing of the brand
The Apollo's frame is a triple triangle exactly the same as GT's signature triple triangle.
Did Apollo copy this style or did GT make some under license for Apollo
:?
The equipment on both looks totally original
I'll get some pics of it Monday

beagle":1hoifime said:
Low end Halfords own brand bikes. The higher end ones were called Carrera.
Yes i know they are now,but they werent always :?

The Question im asking is-
Why do they have a triple triangle frame.

Im pretty sure if i owned a large American corporation and somebody started to copy my signature designs.that that company would be sued to hell and back.

The triple triangle wasn't a GT design, they copied it themselves. It is an old frame design from the 1920s called Hellenic, after the designer, a Brit called Fred Hellens.

From 1923:

hellen-4.jpg

Avalanche IIRC, was a triple triagle, purple and green, with a suntour 18sp group and an underchainstay U-brake, pre carerra. .? Retro by definition- kid at school had one. .. Pretty un-fancy tubing though IIRC, just Hi-ten. ..

Ok, think they were always pretty low end but may be wrong.

They probably had triple triangle frames because someone at Halfords decided it was a good idea, very much doubt those bikes had anything to do with GT.

Puch also made a hellenic mountain bike at the same time, cheap and nasty as well. No doubt chosen because it was a cheap gimmick of the time that could attract the kids who had been sold on GTs marketing but who's parents wouldn't pay the bill (and it needed no permission as it had no patent protection)

pete_mcc":38amhwqz said:
Puch also made a hellenic mountain bike at the same time, cheap and nasty as well. No doubt chosen because it was a cheap gimmick of the time that could attract the kids who had been sold on GTs marketing but who's parents wouldn't pay the bill (and it needed no permission as it had no patent protection)

Hey that Man,Dont knock the legendary puch :shock:
My sister had one when i was about 4,i learned to ride on it :cool:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

elite504":38amhwqz said:
Avalanche IIRC, was a triple triagle, purple and green, with a suntour 18sp group and an underchainstay U-brake, pre carerra. .? Retro by definition- kid at school had one. .. Pretty un-fancy tubing though IIRC, just Hi-ten. ..

Purple and green ,thats the fellow :D

my 1st bike was an apollo atomic with a licsenced triple triangle frame from gt,had the sticker to prove it.it also had cantis on the rear before gt did,but the stays were alot longer so the bridge fitted,loved the piece of shit tbh,cried all the way round my paper round and home when it got pinched :cry:

there was one on ebay a few weeks ago,nearly but luckily i left it ;)

There are probably still two brand new unused early 90's Apollo's in dads garage. One day his girlfriend left the garage door wide open as she was late for work and both my Cannondale and my brother's Ridgeback were stolen. The following weekend she turned up with two £99 bikes as compensation. :roll:

Back