Early Marin help what model/year???

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi Guys

I'm new to the group so firstly hello! At the ripe old age of 35 i have owned a many mountain bikes since my 1st marin palisades back in 1989! Now the help...the current steed has been with me for the last 3 years and was my first jump into the full susser world. I bought it off "the bay" and it was in a right state so most componants have been replaced apart from the frame and chainset. The guy i bought it from thought it might be a 1998 quake. But im not sure... I'd love to know what year model it was and what the original setup was on the bike. I've not seen any other frame like it as it is aluminium and box construction. All i have found out is that it may have been designed by an F1 suspension guy?! I have looked under the bottom bracket for the numbers but i still don't know what they mean? Any help/info gratefully recieved! Cheers and keep up the good work on a top site!

Wookiee

pics

Attachments

• bigger.jpg
    bigger.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 4,253
  • bigger2.jpg
    bigger2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4,253
  • bigger3.jpg
    bigger3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4,253
good gravy! that takes me back....

there was a rigid box section version too.

it was a former benetton bloke behind the suspension design, jon whyte?

Thanks for the replies. It does sound possible i saw one come up on ebay a while back and asked the guy selling what he knew...not much other than the designer was the f1 blokey and that it may be a quake. I find it a great ride for the mainly xc riding i do. I realise its not quite the dh beasts of today but it does me good. I've also heard stuff about frames/swingarms cracking, checked mine over and no worries and i'm 17 stone! I dont always ride it with the slicks just going to do the london to birighton on it soon so training!

hi guys.
first post here.

i can confirm that that IS a Marin Quake. not sure of the number tho

i had one in erm 1995? mine was a quake 9.0 blue stickers. yours has red stickers so its a 5.0 i believe... mine was a huge 19" tank!

the hardtail version is a Marin Monocoque,a freind of mine still owns and rides one,complete with girvin forks and 3 spoke spin wheels

PS to work out what year it was.... i bought a rift zone when they came out.. and sold it a year later and bought the quake..
sure it was 95

edit found this :) aaah cant post links...not enough posts yet....
google marin quake 1997

found this..pic not mine

Attachments

• 1262998767_S5020126.JPG
    1262998767_S5020126.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 4,107
Hi

I've found out that it is a quake after spotting a guy on ebay selling a 1997 marin catalogue i mailed him a pic and he confirmed it was a quake 5.0 and sent this pic. Seems it was only made this way for 1 year. i hope to win the auction and if i do ill get a scan of it up on here.

Thanks for all the replies tho

Cheers!

Attachments

• forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 4,098
Amazing ive been looking for a marin quake 9 for ages i snaped my many years ago but always fancey another 1,

if you ever want to sell it please contact me!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers jay

I must admit I thought the Quakes came in 1997, 95 seems a bit early, I dont recall the quakes having anything but V's and they came in on mass in 97.

Back