Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:15 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 118  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:38 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:49 pm
Posts: 2578
Location: Boiling in a Bivvy Bag
drystonepaul wrote:
I think the MT-3 had Ti main tubes and a cro-mo rear triangle, the MT-4 had Ti main tubes and Ti rear triangle. The MT-5 had metal matrix composite main tubes and a ti rear triangle. All of them had cast aluminium lugs with steel inserts for threads in the BB and a steel shim in the seat cluster lug. (at least in mine)

The Mt-4 has Ti main tubes and Ti chainstays, Seat stays and forks are Mang-Mo.
I assume that all of the steel used on Dyna-Techs is Manganese- Molybdenum as it's produced by Reynolds. If I remember correctly 2060 tubesets are roughly equivalent to 531, 2070:653 and 2080:753.
Dont know any thing about the 2055 tubeset; if its a version of 501 then it'll be Cro-Mo, and seamed I think.


Last edited by ferrus on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:40 am 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:55 am
Posts: 160
Location: Gosport, UK
Apologies, bojangle, for obscuring the sticker with the chainset in the first pic, here is a 'nearside' shot of the machine clearly showing the XMT100 Metal Composite frame tubes sticker. Cheers


Attachments:
MT5_nearside.jpg
MT5_nearside.jpg [ 188.06 KiB | Viewed 5853 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:21 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:22 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Plymouth
ferrus wrote:
drystonepaul wrote:
I think the MT-3 had Ti main tubes and a cro-mo rear triangle, the MT-4 had Ti main tubes and Ti rear triangle. The MT-5 had metal matrix composite main tubes and a ti rear triangle. All of them had cast aluminium lugs with steel inserts for threads in the BB and a steel shim in the seat cluster lug. (at least in mine)

The Mt-4 has Ti main tubes and Ti chainstays, Seat stays and forks are Mang-Mo.
I assume that all of the steel used on Dyna-Techs is Manganese- Molybdenum as it's produced by Reynolds. If I remember correctly 2060 tubesets are roughly equivalent to 531, 2070:653 and 2080:753.
Dont know any thing about the 2055 tubeset; if its a version of 501 then it'll be Cro-Mo, and seamed I think.


IIRC, you could only buy the MT3, 4 or 5 as frame sets only. The difference between them was the proportions of Chro-mo to ti /metal matrix titanium.
The main tubes were always ti / metal matrix
The MT3 had a chromo rear triangle. Ti up front
The MT5 had metal matrix throughout.
The MT4 had a ti chainstay and chromo seat stay. (Agree with Ferrus).

I think ferrus is also spot on with the 2060, 2070 models. Although I never knew there was a 2080 classification - can someone enlighten me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 am 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 5169
Location: Cumbria, England.
drifting james wrote:
The MT5 had metal matrix throughout.

MT-5 was matrix tubes, titanium stays and aluminium lugs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:33 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:19 pm
Posts: 7
Location: St Neots, Cambs
I've currently have a Dyna Tech Encounter. I bought it about 15 years ago second hand from a Raleigh dealership. I had no idea how high in the Raleigh range they were back then.

I have enclosed a few pictures of the bike. (sorry about the quality, but not the best camera)

Image
Image
Image

I think it would be a good idea to open this section up to the Mtrax range too. I always wanted an M-Trax Ti 4000 and would still like to get my hands on one today.

I've currently also got the latest Mtrax that has been released.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:48 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:49 pm
Posts: 2578
Location: Boiling in a Bivvy Bag
drifting james wrote:
ferrus wrote:
drystonepaul wrote:
I think the MT-3 had Ti main tubes and a cro-mo rear triangle, the MT-4 had Ti main tubes and Ti rear triangle. The MT-5 had metal matrix composite main tubes and a ti rear triangle. All of them had cast aluminium lugs with steel inserts for threads in the BB and a steel shim in the seat cluster lug. (at least in mine)

The Mt-4 has Ti main tubes and Ti chainstays, Seat stays and forks are Mang-Mo.
I assume that all of the steel used on Dyna-Techs is Manganese- Molybdenum as it's produced by Reynolds. If I remember correctly 2060 tubesets are roughly equivalent to 531, 2070:653 and 2080:753.
Dont know any thing about the 2055 tubeset; if its a version of 501 then it'll be Cro-Mo, and seamed I think.


IIRC, you could only buy the MT3, 4 or 5 as frame sets only. The difference between them was the proportions of Chro-mo to ti /metal matrix titanium.
The main tubes were always ti / metal matrix
The MT3 had a chromo rear triangle. Ti up front
The MT5 had metal matrix throughout.
The MT4 had a ti chainstay and chromo seat stay. (Agree with Ferrus).

I think ferrus is also spot on with the 2060, 2070 models. Although I never knew there was a 2080 classification - can someone enlighten me?

Pretty sure there never was a 2080 MTB frame, but it was a road model and frame (Dyna-Tech Pro) I've got one and it's a lovely, surprisingly comfy ride.. I love it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:01 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:42 pm
Posts: 783
Location: Brighton
Here's my Dynatech - it's a road model, the 300 and it's my daily commuting bike. I decided to stop driving to work back in November and now do 30 miles a day by bike.

It's a 2050 frame (Renolds 501 equivalent) with a bizarre component mixture of Sora, Exage, Ultegra and Dura-Ace. Wheel are FSA, carbon seatpost for comfort, Selle Italie Fliante for a similar reason. Lights are to see my way home on a particularly pitch black cycle path and the rack is a 'layback' style to stop me belting the panniers with my heels every revolution.

M-Trax and Dynatech were available at the same time - M-Trax being sold in the 'normal' dealers and Dynatech in the 5* dealers only. My main MTB is an M-Trax Ti-1000 frame built up with modern components.


Attachments:
Dyna300-3.jpg
Dyna300-3.jpg [ 99.01 KiB | Viewed 5435 times ]
Dyna300-2.jpg
Dyna300-2.jpg [ 125.23 KiB | Viewed 5435 times ]
Dyna300-1.jpg
Dyna300-1.jpg [ 150.78 KiB | Viewed 5435 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:44 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 47
Location: ireland
drystonepaul wrote:
I've got to say that I'm very impressed with both the bikes and the information that everyone has been submitting to this thread, and I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it.

I started the thread partly due to my recent Dyna Tech aquisition and the mystery surrounding it's specific identity.
In trying to identify it I realised that there is lack of readily accessible and reliable information out there, so it seemed a natural decision to try to satisfy my curiousity by starting this thread.
In my early research I came across the 1992 titanium catalogue (many thanks to carlton dyna-tech) and remembered owning a copy of this BITD. I really wanted a Quantum but fate and circumstances lead me down another path and I never ended up owning one. So I guess there's an emotional link too.



In terms of opening the thread up to other Raleigh Special Products bikes, then of course I'd have no objection to that. I'm just as much trying to find out the place that the Dyna Tech brand had within the history and structure of Raleigh, as I am about the brand itself.
I'd still like to find out more about the M-Trax brand too and it's relationship to and genesis from Dyna Tech.

As far as I understand it so far, in the late 1980's Dyna Tech was a term initially used by the RSP division to describe the experimental 'Dynamic Technologies' used to join dissimilar frame materials. In 1990 or 1991 it became a brand name in itself. But a combination of poor distribution, sales and financial problems meant that by 1995 the Dyna Tech project had been shelved and superceded by the M-Trax brand.

I'm obviously still unclear on this so I'd really appreciate any input from anyone with more accurate information. :)


Hi Guys, I used to work in Raleigh Ireland and the simple reason for the failure of the Dynatech brand was the sheer number of broken frames we would get back. My job was changing over the broken frames to new frames - and it was a full time job for 2 people and that covers just the Irish market. The road bikes were a serious problem. Its such a pity the wishbone structure on the seat stays were badly designed. Great bikes and I still enjoy mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:27 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:55 am
Posts: 160
Location: Gosport, UK
Here is a Raleigh Dyna-Tech brochure that I scanned into .pdf format http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... 6f5d131902

This brochure explains the method of construction and the lists the different model numbers/frame materials available at the time (1990?).

I have uploaded some thumbnails below to whet your appetite.


Attachments:
Dyna_brochure.jpg
Dyna_brochure.jpg [ 40.39 KiB | Viewed 5400 times ]
Dyna_brochure_contents.jpg
Dyna_brochure_contents.jpg [ 76.41 KiB | Viewed 5400 times ]
Dyna_brochure_back_cover.jpg
Dyna_brochure_back_cover.jpg [ 54.75 KiB | Viewed 5400 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:31 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:50 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lazy Town
Ogre XT wrote:
Hi Guys, I used to work in Raleigh Ireland and the simple reason for the failure of the Dynatech brand was the sheer number of broken frames we would get back. My job was changing over the broken frames to new frames - and it was a full time job for 2 people and that covers just the Irish market. The road bikes were a serious problem. Its such a pity the wishbone structure on the seat stays were badly designed. Great bikes and I still enjoy mine.


You would be knowing a certain Mr John Beatty then, and perhaps even Paddy Peacock?

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 118  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eagach, raidan73 and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group