Expert advise. Retro build of modern build Rocky

Retro build or modern build RM Blizzard.

• Retro build

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modern build

• Don't even get the bike

• Modern gears but retro look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LTS Biker

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm planning to buy a Rocky Mountain Blizzard.
The parts from the bike are mostly worn. So it need a midlife-update.

Shall I rebuild it like good old times, or give it a modern jacket?

Modern gears, retro look. I just never liked the look of Shimano, and with a great steal frame like that you just want to really ride it.

That said, if you could get together a NOS Cooks crank and Proshift/Pauls groupo.....

pete_mcc":xnc2n7t5 said:
Modern gears, retro look. I just never liked the look of Shimano, and with a great steal frame like that you just want to really ride it.

That said, if you could get together a NOS Cooks crank and Proshift/Pauls groupo.....

That would look nice, but a bit eh much euro's.
I would love to build it M900 XTR, but as I see the prices for those components rize. Hmmm :(

M900 is a little late for that frame anyway..

Lovely bike, where from?? ;)

If you want to use it, go for some newer parts, never bothers me too much, and you may get to enjoy it more :D

But, I think it looks pretty good in std trim too..black and white with XT was fine. Maybe some Black toplines and Pauls/Graftons cantis or such would remove some of the silver and look good too.
Maybe a M950 build? Older, but not hard to get hold of, Vs, 8/9 speed..Good compromise for functionality? Not sure colour would suit best though.

:?

Sounds good, I'm planning to use (IF I buy it) mostly black components, Race Face parts, or Syncros, and maybe Chris King wheels in it.
A closer look on the bike, I noticed this one on the picture is a bit different, I still has U-brakes, the one I'm visiting this weekend has normal canti's, the colour is a bit different and has got the cables on the side of the top tube. Which looks weird.

Looks to me like someone has used an old roadie clamp on cable guide to put the cable on the side, wonder whats wrong with the old ones (may need a trip to a frame builder / resprayer to have a new one welded on)

Colour has to be black and white with loads of syncros and race face (and maybe a bit of Black Spire). Brakes - Pauls would look lovely and maybe Pauls thumbie mounts for 9 speed action. Then its King hubs and UST rims and one of them relatively modern silver and black XT mechs. Jobs a good 'un! (forgot - white turbo saddle)

With modern parts it;ll look a little like this :
80249672-rocky-mountain-blizzard-18-5.html

Back