The bike you never talk about!

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
We all started somewhere...then we got money and bought the rides we dreamed of.

Just wondering what memories peeps have of the crappiest bike / frame / part they ever had...

I owned a Diamondback as a kid with 100GS (!!). More plastic components than a cheap toaster from Asda.

Any other comments?

My first road bike. Apollo with 5 gears and a lugged steel frame. I think it has 27" tyres too when everything £150+ had 700c!

Still loved it and it got me into the sport so can't have been all bad!

Ziggy":271wkyop said:
orange71":271wkyop said:
most were on my original diamondback topanga iirc!

:LOL: Was yours the grey & flouro pink one too?

Well it may have been once but given I got it second hand somebody had painted it pink fuoro all over!!

My first MTB was a Raleigh Discovery... it was equipped with a 200GS grouppo (and thumbies, I saw one with STI once, probably later model).

Can't really say I hated the bike, can't really say that 200GS was crap neither. But somehow if you ask me "What was your first MTB" I always anser that it was a Specialized Stumpjumper FS, although I got that about 2 years later and I really had lotsa fun on my Raleigh.

Dunno why that is... :oops: :? :?:

An Ammaco 'Heavy Metal'. I asked for a mountain bike for my 12th or 13th birthday and got that. Not quite the Muddy Fox my friend had :(

It was silver with Blue forks, stem and bars and weighed a ton - truely Heavy Metal.

I upgraded it a bit, DX thumbies, Tektro Canti's Mavic 231 rims etc.

It actually saw a lot of action off-road and stood up suprisingly well. I reasoned that lugging all that extra weight was good for me ;)

Unfortunately i had a pretty major crash at 15 and ended up in hospital with a punctured lung. That kept me off a bike until i was 16, then it got stolen. At 17 i discovered the car and didn't look at a bike again until i bought an Orange Gringo.

orange71":bg25sqhb said:
Ziggy":bg25sqhb said:
orange71":bg25sqhb said:
most were on my original diamondback topanga iirc!

:LOL: Was yours the grey & flouro pink one too?

Well it may have been once but given I got it second hand somebody had painted it pink fuoro all over!!

Awesome! :LOL: Mine was like this (from eBay) 300LX, oh yeah.
7629_1.JPG

But my first mtb was a Peugeot Ranger. I'd actually love to have both bikes back now!

I started with a no-name frame, with no-name compontents, wanted to rebuild it, al lot of parts changed and when I wanted to change the BB, it seemd it was that cheap, you could not replace it. Different size.
So got a new frame from the LBS, a Batavus Rambler (Dutch) and build it up with first 300LX and Exage and stuff and bit by bit, it changed to XT, XTR (which was very expensive for me) hyperlite bar, RS Quadra forks, Syncros post, Flite saddle, and some chapy parts.

But is was good for me.

Now I have an axtra frame, got it to throw away form my boss:
Raleigh Omesa-D.
Will build it up for trials bike, so I don't have to care for damage. :)

Back