Darn! Race Face BB cup thread direction wrong!

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
WTF??? why are the threads on my NOS bb cups the same direction? Spent about an hour trying to figure out why the drive side wouldn't go in properly. :evil:

Finally figured it out after testing two other spare BBs I have to make sure BB shell threads on the bike frame were fine and I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Both cups thread fine on the non drive side! :roll:

ARGHHH!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2764.JPG
    IMG_2764.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 2,075
That's odd, unless you have two non-driveside (LH) cups there, which the RH clearly indicates it isn't. then the Drive side (RH) has the 'French/Swiss' direction, though at the wrong pitch. Possibly labelled wrong, though the logos don't match either.

Do any of the cups feel loose when in the LH side ?

the non-drive threaded smooth and snug. when i finally realized the non-drive was threaded in the wrong direction (same as non-drive), and tried it on the non-drive side, it threaded in smooth, although i didn't thread it in all the way, but enough to confirm.

building my "unicorn" has run into problem after problem. guess it's not suppose to be "easy". :roll:

nporternz":2fcx4co6 said:
chainreaction in the uk still sell those so you might be able to get the right one!!

Awesome thanks! Found it and they do carry both sides in blue! ;)

But I'll see what the seller has to say first about the situation. :evil:

That's odd, unless you have two non-driveside (LH) cups there, which the RH clearly indicates it isn't.

I thought the RH was telling us its a right hand thread ( to go into the left non drive sides of our bikes ) that's what the arrow seems to be indicating .

Looks to me like whoever you bought them from has sent you 2 left side cups , logos give me the impression they are from 2 different bottom brackets of different years . I wonder if someone has ended up with 2 left hand thread cups to go into the right side .

perry":36b56i1p said:
That's odd, unless you have two non-driveside (LH) cups there, which the RH clearly indicates it isn't.

I thought the RH was telling us its a right hand thread ( to go into the left non drive sides of our bikes ) that's what the arrow seems to be indicating .

Looks to me like whoever you bought them from has sent you 2 left side cups , logos give me the impression they are from 2 different bottom brackets of different years . I wonder if someone has ended up with 2 left hand thread cups to go into the right side .

I assumed the RH = Right Hand .
That and the info on thread is normally always put on the RH (well if it's a Shimano fixed cup)

Which leads me to the assumption the seller may also have had thought the same .....

I seem to have the same problem with my Royce. English thread both and yet the cups screw in the opposite sides. Will try when have the correct spanners and not my fingers.

I have the same RF taperlock bb and the cups are marked exactly the same as yours and fitted into my bb shell no problem, though they were a little stiff going in due to the thread lock on the cups.

I'm pretty sure RF only made an English threaded version of this so it makes me think there might be something going on with your bb shell.

Rich

Back