Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:04 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

WTF??? why are the threads on my NOS bb cups the same direction? Spent about an hour trying to figure out why the drive side wouldn't go in properly. :evil:

Finally figured it out after testing two other spare BBs I have to make sure BB shell threads on the bike frame were fine and I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Both cups thread fine on the non drive side! :roll:

ARGHHH!!!

Attachments:
IMG_2764.JPG
IMG_2764.JPG [ 107.13 KiB | Viewed 1800 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 am 
Retro Guru

chainreaction in the uk still sell those so you might be able to get the right one!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

That's odd, unless you have two non-driveside (LH) cups there, which the RH clearly indicates it isn't. then the Drive side (RH) has the 'French/Swiss' direction, though at the wrong pitch. Possibly labelled wrong, though the logos don't match either.

Do any of the cups feel loose when in the LH side ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

the non-drive threaded smooth and snug. when i finally realized the non-drive was threaded in the wrong direction (same as non-drive), and tried it on the non-drive side, it threaded in smooth, although i didn't thread it in all the way, but enough to confirm.

building my "unicorn" has run into problem after problem. guess it's not suppose to be "easy". :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:05 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

nporternz wrote:
chainreaction in the uk still sell those so you might be able to get the right one!!

Awesome thanks! Found it and they do carry both sides in blue! ;)

But I'll see what the seller has to say first about the situation. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 pm 
SotS Winner
SotS Winner

Sounds like an Italian BB to me Frank, didn't know RF made them. Seller has some explaining to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:58 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Quote:
That's odd, unless you have two non-driveside (LH) cups there, which the RH clearly indicates it isn't.

I thought the RH was telling us its a right hand thread ( to go into the left non drive sides of our bikes ) that's what the arrow seems to be indicating .

Looks to me like whoever you bought them from has sent you 2 left side cups , logos give me the impression they are from 2 different bottom brackets of different years . I wonder if someone has ended up with 2 left hand thread cups to go into the right side .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:20 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

perry wrote:
Quote:
That's odd, unless you have two non-driveside (LH) cups there, which the RH clearly indicates it isn't.

I thought the RH was telling us its a right hand thread ( to go into the left non drive sides of our bikes ) that's what the arrow seems to be indicating .

Looks to me like whoever you bought them from has sent you 2 left side cups , logos give me the impression they are from 2 different bottom brackets of different years . I wonder if someone has ended up with 2 left hand thread cups to go into the right side .

I assumed the RH = Right Hand .
That and the info on thread is normally always put on the RH (well if it's a Shimano fixed cup)

Which leads me to the assumption the seller may also have had thought the same .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:50 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

I seem to have the same problem with my Royce. English thread both and yet the cups screw in the opposite sides. Will try when have the correct spanners and not my fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I have the same RF taperlock bb and the cups are marked exactly the same as yours and fitted into my bb shell no problem, though they were a little stiff going in due to the thread lock on the cups.

I'm pretty sure RF only made an English threaded version of this so it makes me think there might be something going on with your bb shell.

Rich