egg beater pedals

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
I was thinking of buying egg beater's but what are they like to ride? And use? They say nobody over 85 kgs should use!!! Any advice please

tintin40":1lrlo90p said:
I was thinking of buying egg beater's but what are they like to ride? And use? They say nobody over 85 kgs should use!!! Any advice please

Do they?! :shock: I'm over 85 kgs in my socks never mind with all my gear and camelbak on and I've been using Eggbeaters since they came on the scene!

They've got plenty of float so that's better for your knees, but the bearings need looking after, I lubricate mine every few weeks or so. They're excellent at mud shedding and look pretty cool too.

I was told they can damage the soles of your shoes more than standard clipless because of the bars that rest there?

Can i use normal SPD shoes? And how easy is it to walk in shoes with egg beater cleats? One last thing how easy are they to get in and out of?

hi, been using eggbeaters for quite a while now and found they have plenty of float, easy to clip in/out,
YES, you can use probably any SPD type shoe, and YES, the cleats are not much bigger then shimano ones, so there is no problem walking.
haven't noticed any damage as yet.
hope that helps

Been using them for a couple of years now. Now't to complain about v reliable pedals!

very different opinion here.

with heavy use they gouge into the soles of your shoe, and in doing so create a verticle gap between shoe and pedal,so when you buny hop the bike lags behind.

and i never managed to be able to click out of them with my foot at the front of the pedal stroke, 3 O'clock position.

i found them vague to engage under the foot and binned them after 4 weeks, by whioch time i'd done about 600 miles on them and they'd eaten chuncks out of the soles.

i replaced them with the single sided Ritchey WCS road pedals, they weigh less, have more positive entry and exit and a firmer attachment, yet still float.

i guess it depends what you prefer, i liketo be locked into my pedals until i want to clickout, eggbeaters never allowed this.

they are better than most shimano spds though.

I've bought crank bros candy 4 ti pedals in black. I hope i like them. I may use them just for off road and keep spd's for every day use to work. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back