Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 53  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:51 pm 

anybody been brave enough to drill the cables out and route hydraulic lines inside the frame?
im wanting to for maguras with braided lines routed internally.....

also wondering whether to smooth all the welds. yes their gorgeous just never been a fan.

has anybody done any weight saving? saw a pic earlier in this thread where one of the top sections had had some extra milling done...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:25 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

kikaha, nice bike 8) good to see my old projects passed around to those that love them.

jacko sts

I take it that you have a STS-DH or 1,2 with the internal cable routing. I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT DRILL the frame, the headtube in particular is the weak point and any drilling vibration may cause damage to the bonding that you won't see until the frame starts coming apart on you mid ride. I too have been tempted by getting hydraulic hoses through those holes but for me the risk was too high.

As for getting an air shock, it'll be costly as it will be a custom job. Far better to pick up a new Coupe or Super Deluxe unit. They are still popping up on ebay from time to time. For weight saving I would not mess around with the frame itself but stick to getting weight weenie components. Would be really interested to see how light you can get a STS up and running BUT a few words of warning. Get prepared to have an empty wallet :wink:

Get a picture up of your frame 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:09 am 

cheers.

its an sts 2
turns out its a large, too big for me and the seat tube section is buckled so this may well be a guinea pig frame while i hunt down a medium.

do risse still do the air shock? anyone tried one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

What is this?
Has a carbon front end like a '98, but internal cables and that weird overhanging seatpost from '97.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0478021978

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:10 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Take another look at that headtube, it's not carbon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:16 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

:oops: Oh yeah.

Awesome painting skills.
Appauling observatory skills on my part! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:07 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi, here is mine. Pics are from 2009, now it has some cool CNC IONIC boosters and black/yellow/red Nisene. But still needs new decals...
My daily bike in fact.

Attachments:
My STS.JPG
My STS.JPG [ 213.9 KiB | Viewed 3370 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:17 pm 

Gadro wrote:
John thanks for the confirmation about the '96 LTS Carbon found some better pics of this early model frame and it clearly shows the Titanium linkage used as per the LTS-1. Does anyone know what the original spec was of this bike, group set, etc. More importantly anyone got one of these?

:D I got one of these...! I'm currently cleaning it for its second (third? fourth?) life. It's a 96 LTS, the name STS was used for therrmoplastic the year later and then it lost its titanium linkage.

I've also a 98' STS DH... Fortunetaly, I've most of the parts that were missing on it when I got it !

I first fall in love in the 90s with the GT, but my first GT was a new GT LTS 3000ds frame I bought on ebay in 2007. A smooth ride and a pleasure to ride a new frame of the late 90s in 2007 !! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:29 pm 

I found this site, while looking for service info for my Lobo. I built it in '98, I believe and rode it for 6 months or so. it's been in storage since. A good friend has since convinced me to get back into biking, and i figured it's about time to dig it out again.

I put it away when I started motocross racing. It may be time to dismantle it.

Last edited by theJanitor on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:30 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 53  Next