Mystery Alpina bike

bruce.of.zurich

Old School Hero
Today I saw this one at the "old stuff" barn:

jkbofq.jpg

24exher.jpg

5b89ad.jpg

2u7n79u.jpg

It says Alpina Cycles, but it doesn't have the Univega graphics anywere on the frame. The decals read: Hightech 357 and Tubi Oria (steel).

I just lost a battle with a stuck seatpost on a Brodie frame from ebay; so I am still looking for a sturdy frame to build into a bike for a trek this summer.
The price of this Alpina (?) is negligible as are some of the components on it. Like the Biopace parts, that I'm not very fond of.
I'd keep the frame and forks and upgrade all the other bits.
I like the baked crocodile color scheme.

Anyone have any info on this mistery bike from Switzerland? Or any recommendation on using it as a travel bike?

Thanks a lot,
b

I don't know much but the U-brake postion and biopace strongly suggest 1987/8/9 - looks like (at this distance a combination of XT and Deore) so it should be fairly decent spec for the era.

I love the paint job and matching stem.

pretty cool in an uncool sort of way - proper MTB tourer

It would clean up really nice but riding might not be enjoyable if the Oria tubing is not very high grade.

legrandefromage":30miqxpf said:
pretty cool in an uncool sort of way - proper MTB tourer

It would clean up really nice but riding might not be enjoyable if the Oria tubing is not very high grade.

exactly... this kind of cool: http://www.amazon.com/Zubaz-Pants-Blue- ... 201&sr=8-1

34qs84y.jpg

when I lifted the bike I was impressed by how heavy it is, it could not all be the frame's fault though.

the paintwork is the big motivator here, I wonder if that still applies when I sweating my way up the Gotthard pass.

I'm quite convinced to take the 20€ plunge now, since I can't stop looking at that baked paint.

More soon!

b

Back