What is the mtb HOLY FAIL? And what is YOUR Holy Fail?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Following on from John's thread below (or maybe above depending on what's being said)...

What's the one thing that you think has been a step backwards for MTB's?

Biopace? Egg's? U-Brakes? There are some obvious candidates, but for me, because they were all reversed when the respective manufacturers realised they weren't that good, they are just a bad blip on the mtb cardiograph.

For me, it's more things like 100mm forks. Even when on a frame designed for them - they just look wrong. And they make the said bike look so ugly...all front end and no bum!

And they don't appear to be going anywhere - Quite the opposite - they're getting bigger!

I know I know, I'm a luddite and I never even use the full 80mm on my SID's and that makes me a woossy xc jey boy etc...

...but they look so crass!

What's yours?

Wu-Tangled":35nhkp23 said:
Following on from John's thread below (or maybe above depending on what's being said)...

What's the one thing that you think has been a step backwards for MTB's?

Biopace? Egg's? U-Brakes? There are some obvious candidates, but for me, because they were all reversed when the respective manufacturers realised they weren't that good, they are just a bad blip on the mtb cardiograph.

For me, it's more things like 100mm forks. Even when on a frame designed for them - they just look wrong. And they make the said bike look so ugly...all front end and no bum!

And they don't appear to be going anywhere - Quite the opposite - they're getting bigger!

I know I know, I'm a luddite and I never even use the full 80mm on my SID's and that makes me a woossy xc jey boy etc...

What's yours?

LOL! :LOL: 80mm! now thats retro! I'm running 140mm forks & getting full travel. s.wales ride soon yeh :D

scant":2h181og7 said:
[LOL! :LOL: 80mm! now thats retro! I'm running 140mm forks & getting full travel. s.wales ride soon yeh :D

I think I'd be too timid to ride with you scant.

:shock:

Wu-Tangled":j17lh6rm said:
scant":j17lh6rm said:
[LOL! :LOL: 80mm! now thats retro! I'm running 140mm forks & getting full travel. s.wales ride soon yeh :D

I think I'd be too timid to ride with you scant.

:shock:

I'm a climber mate ;) tho me & slim were talking saturday about a s.wales meet :cool:

Wu-Tangled":5lzfowl5 said:

Agreed they look pretty gash, especially on a hardtail.......but they do make sense on certain terrain.

Think Biopace is probably more desrving of the title 'Holy Fail', unless you're Bobby Julich of course. Some old suspension designs were also pretty p*ss poor (original Trek?). And flexstems.

you are not bad downhill either . ;)

we had a good time on sat in the north downs .
shame I wont be able to make a south wales ride , maybe in a few years .

cchris2lou":2vhcpn4m said:
you are not bad downhill either . ;)

we had a good time on sat in the north downs .
shame I wont be able to make a south wales ride , maybe in a few years .

few years?! feck that, you gotta return the favour & come to wales now. I drove to cannock BMX course & the n.downs, now its your turn ;) :LOL:

John":1wcfqd1x said:
Think Biopace is probably more desrving of the title 'Holy Fail', unless you're Bobby Julich of course.

...or Vinokourov, he uses 'em too. A good mate of mine rides for the US Colavita team and everyone uses them there. There has to be something about them

Chris is going to host a Retromeet in France aren't you Chris :D , could try and tie it in with the TDF next year !! (Do they come near where you live ??)

PS - French BMX track fine with me ....

Back