Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:01 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:30 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

scant wrote:
turner seems like a funny choice to me (hell its a personal thing so go for your life!) as most of the ground work for that design was horst AMP design a few years earlier

I'm pretty sure DT collaborated on that design?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:38 am 
Old School Grand Master

he worked for them. learnt from horst. admittadly AMP execution was pretty appaling. frames cracking & breaking all over the place but their intional ideas deffo spawned many new bikes. yeti asr, titus racerX still strong selling XC bikes, which are basically reworked AMP B3 mac strut with a swing link to take the sideloads off the shock.

holy grail is blondes & brunettes, chocolate & strawberry all over again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:40 am 
Retro Guru

stevet1 wrote:
scant wrote:
turner seems like a funny choice to me (hell its a personal thing so go for your life!) as most of the ground work for that design was horst AMP design a few years earlier

I always understood that Turner was an employee at AMP before starting up on his own. Sad to see now that someone who was involved with the "horst link" from the begining has now been prevented from using it in his own designs after legal action from Ellsworth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:55 am 
Old School Grand Master

B3 wrote:
stevet1 wrote:
scant wrote:

I always understood that Turner was an employee at AMP before starting up on his own. Sad to see now that someone who was involved with the "horst link" from the begining has now been prevented from using it in his own designs after legal action from Ellsworth.

the horst link issue has been discussed to death on mtbr.com turner forum. in summary the licensing costs were tiny & the change was made purely for frame integrity reasons & not financial.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:36 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

John wrote:
What do you consider to be THE MTB Holy Grail?
Second question, what is YOUR holy grail.

THE Holy Grail - John Tomac's Yeti C-26 from the 1990 Worlds. I have a picture of it somewhere....

My Holy Grail - I've said it before but still a 1990 Klein Attitude in team colours, size L/XL with original forks. It wouldn't become a garage queen either! (although if a Yeti C-26 became available and i had the money I'd buy it to hang on the wall)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:40 pm 
Old School Grand Master

MadCowKev wrote:
John wrote:
What do you consider to be THE MTB Holy Grail?
Second question, what is YOUR holy grail.

THE Holy Grail - John Tomac's Yeti C-26 from the 1990 Worlds. I have a picture of it somewhere....

(although if a Yeti C-26 became available and i had the money I'd buy it to hang on the wall)

didnt you see the 1 on ebay? pile of tubes & lugs made £1500. ameybrook knows more about it :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:47 pm 

scant wrote:
didnt you see the 1 on ebay? pile of tubes & lugs made £1500. ameybrook knows more about it :)

I did see it Scant - i also heard of a complete bike or possibly just complete frame selling for $10k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

MadCowKev wrote:
scant wrote:

I did see it Scant - i also heard of a complete bike or possibly just complete frame selling for $10k

how much did you see that 1 sell for carsten ;) :lol: .. just a tad less than $10K! :shock: :lol:

although to be fair ex tomac owned raleigh replica racer frames are $7000 & furtados C26 made $7800(ish?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:09 pm 

scant wrote:
although to be fair ex tomac owned raleigh replica racer frames are $7000 & furtados C26 made $7800(ish?)

thats why Tomac's C-26 should be the Holy Grail - if Julie Furtado's made $7800!

Out of curiosity - i wonder what Ned Overend's M2 would make if it were to ever reach the open market?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master

MadCowKev wrote:
scant wrote:

thats why Tomac's C-26 should be the Holy Grail - if Julie Furtado's made $7800!

Out of curiosity - i wonder what Ned Overend's M2 would make if it were to ever reach the open market?

how about Tomac 1990 worlds spare bike?
http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=111165 ;)

Neds M2 is hanging up in durango, ameybrooks already posted up pics elsewhere on this site :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next