Question about paint - can you get it matched?

Hermit

Retro Guru
Hi :)

As the title really ... how easy is it, or is it possible at all, to get the colour of paint matched to what's already on the frame?

It's a 1989 Rockhopper in light grey, few scratches and rusty bits and the paint is beginning to flake off in a few places, rather than a total respray and decal job - tempted but it's used as my 'to the shops, beach, friends, gym, offie, off-road when I feel like something different' bike and I think it'll only make it more attractive to the wrong sort - I'd like to just clean and touch up the bad bits and I don't want to end up with different coloured splodges on it ...

So, what can be done, any suggestions or ideas?

Only want a small amount, maybe I'm answering my own question but it's just occured to me that I could buy some black and white paint and try to come up with the colour myself? :?:

:LOL:

Grey is the worst colour in the world to mix yourself. Battleship grey would be 1 part black to about 80 parts white.

I would look at model enamel paints (there is a huge range due to the popularity of grey for military equipment).

Altenativly repaint the whole frame and lock it well ;)

Take a wander into Halfords and see if you can find a car touch up paint in the same colour.

They do little plastic bottle type things with both a brush and a pen type dispenser built in.

Land Rover Bonnatti Grey springs to mind

Or Seat have a lighter grey (almost looks like primer) there's one at the end of my road.

Back