Orange riders

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This is basically a vague question for Michael@Orange. Thought it might make an interesting thread.

Who has ridden for Orange over the years? In particular there was one guy who may or may not have been from Oz / NZ who featured in the inside cover of an early 90s MBA....

John":zwbtw2wk said:
This is basically a vague question for Michael@Orange. Thought it might make an interesting thread.

Who has ridden for Orange over the years? In particular there was one guy who may or may not have been from Oz / NZ who featured in the inside cover of an early 90s MBA....

Phew, thats a toughie in that we supported a lot of riders/teams. Team Orange?, well you've got one of the first riders on here anyway :) plus i probably can't recall everyone and will upset someone by missing them out.

I'll start with a few of the pro XC riders and add to it as i remember them :) If anyone wants to help please feel free to do so :)

Tim Davies, Kevin Sabiston, Chris Young, Jonny Clay, Ada Timmis who wins award for the most impressive riding CV, there's a 70th place on there and i thought WTF, look further across - Tour De France 1987 !, OK, I'd probably include that :D Carl Sturgeon.

Caroline Alexander, Janet Wilkinson, Michelle Bergstrand.

You may be thinking of Steve Bowman who was from South Africa and did quite a bit of PR/photo work in the early days.

phew, i need to get to the office and dig out all those old MBI's....

flyingwelshman":2igbxoiq said:

Sam was partnered by Colin Davison for Polaris Challenges. Colin was owner of Denton Cycles but sadly died last year whilst out riding. I saw Sam at the funeral.

In Scotland I remember Gregor Grant, and I think Rachel Gordon also rode for Orange at one time.

Neil Ross cycles in Aberdeen usually had a good squad of riders on orange bikes - Dan Whitehead springs to mind as being pretty successfull.

I think I remember the Steve Bowman pic; big drop off, grassy descent, hanging way behind the saddle on on a stock black Orange Prestige, full Orange team kit and THOSE brown suede Shimano shoes!

I loved the advert because it was the complete opposite of the purple anodised crowd I couldn't afford to be a part of!

Think the ad was on the back of a 1992 MBI?

Back