Turbine granny spacing

RAFbikes

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Does anyone know the correct spacer size to use for a Raceface Turbine granny ring (9 speed if that make any difference)

Staf.

mechagouki":2rcgv2s2 said:
Think it's a 1/4 inch - I'll check for you later.

No it's more like 1/2", Just make sure you get chainring bolts that are long enough,
The longer shimano inner ones are NOT long enough

Scrat":364fih45 said:
mechagouki":364fih45 said:
Think it's a 1/4 inch - I'll check for you later.

No it's more like 1/2", Just make sure you get chainring bolts that are long enough,
The longer shimano inner ones are NOT long enough

well last time I looked on mine, I recall having measured 8 or 9mm !!! :shock:

so what is the right measure ? I ll look again tonite :idea:

Not sure if they are the same spacing between LP and IB Turbines, but I'm fairly sure the inner chainring bolt is 17mm long for my IB, so the spacer is huge, around 8-10mm for sure, maybe even more.

Sorry I'd measure but it's too hard with it on the bike, and I don't really want to take it off.

I know I found the info somewhere when I first got them since I was trying to source the proper length inners for the longest time.

Sorry for the slow reply - I measured last night - spacers are on the crank so I can't promise accuracy but it looks like 5/16 of an inch to me, that's 7.9375mm in new money.

I'm using inches 'cause:

a: I'm old
b: my shop tape is an American Stanley with no metric.
c: the spacer kits in the shops I've wrenched in generally seem to be in inches.

mechagouki":3gx16lqc said:
Sorry for the slow reply - I measured last night - spacers are on the crank so I can't promise accuracy but it looks like 5/16 of an inch to me, that's 7.9375mm in new money.

I'm using inches 'cause:

a: I'm old
b: my shop tape is an American Stanley with no metric.
c: the spacer kits in the shops I've wrenched in generally seem to be in inches.

well I am old too and at 8mm was not far off the mark ;)

k, i found my ORIGINAL thread inquiring about the proper inner bolt and spacer:

http://retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40008

minimum 16mm for the bolt and the spacers i got an answer of either 7.1mm or 8.3mm. don't think i ever got an "official" answer.

in the end i sourced a bolt and spacers package set (Vuelta brand i believe) on ebay. i dug out the original invoice and they were 17mm and 8.5mm spacers. i've installed them on the IB for the Cirrus and work fine.

i should be getting another set of NOS Turbine IB soon i hope and i think it comes with the all the bolts and fixings. will report back to this thread if that's the case.

As I think this is important info that others may need I'm going to take off the granny and measure a spacer with my calipers.

In truth I only have the granny on there because it's a 20T Race Face titanium ring and I just figured it was too cool to leave off the bike - I've never actually used it - as the Xizang is being built into a more serious modern XC racer at the moment I will probably go 2x8 just to shave off the few grams the granny and spacers/bolts represent.

Back