skewers

aljsk8

Dirt Disciple
im more of a budget retro rider - price is the main reason im retro
so ive only really tried some cheep skewers but can some one tell me if what i feel from experience is true of more expensive kit

"shimano skewers work better" (that me saying that)

i just think the whole internal cam thing feels so much smoother

why doesnt someone else use the same design

or am i wrong - and if i spent more than a 5er on a skewer would i see that
the external ones can be nice too?

also does (did) anyone make a stainless steel skewer

Alex

well I love Ringle ti Twisters...

...but I know boggo Shimano ones work better and are therefore probably safer...

...but I still use Ringle twisters - because they look nice! :)

I have a couple of A2Z pair from ebay , both cheap ones , not the titanium .
the blue pair looks great , the silver looks and feel cheap .
Both work fine .

those ringles look really nice

shimano must have some patent on it

because im sure someone could use the same design but make a far sexier
lever

as for the a-z i havent tried them - but have a go at a shimano then straight away use the a-z i bet you will feel the differance

for me its just that you can have them real tight but its still so easy to undo them - without leaving bruises on your palms!

i bought a shimano alloy skewer for 3 pounds and it was felt nicer than a hope one - (obviously didnt look as good!)

aljsk8":1myjc6fi said:
because im sure someone could use the same design but make a far sexier

IMO XTR M950 skewers were pretty cool looking (with the laser cut out XTR logo) and the original XT ones with the plastic black over lever/ handle thing look pretty good. They were always the business back in '87.

Its no secret that most shimano kit is a lot more functional than the boutique stuff. Thats why Shimano came up with octalink BB's, they wanted to have something in their range that looked good but performed terribly so they would be taken seriously as a pimpy manufacturer.

stevet1 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
they've even bettered it with the new hollow link2 things, missing out on proper bearings totally.... :shock:

I never had a problem with XTR splined.

Got through HTII bearings faster but nothing compared to ISIS.

I think I went through every ISIS manufacturer's attempts at a bb a few years back and gave up after the last (and most expensive RF one) wouldn't even turn a full 360 deg when inserted into the frame.

I got the impression all the bb's were the same but re-badged FSA, RF etc.

:LOL:

Nice shimano pimpyness comment. Like it.

Love the look of ti-stix, cooks look good and work pretty well, superlight too. Shimano work well but hey, its shimano goddamit! Mavic are not bad either, hope are hard to get undone when tight (good thing??), WTB work well, and Sasla pretty good too with good leverage. Suntour were similar to shimano. Ringle twisters are just wrong.

just seems wrong to me as a mechanical engineer - putting the bearings out wider is a good idea reducing the bending moment - but you should
1 - support them properly (not platsic cups shimano)
2 - provide some axial support (not just the cranks against the bush)
3 - fit ball bearings! (like campag do)

rant over ;)

Back