Proflex 856

goshow

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Eyup chaps and chapesses, It's been a while since i've been on here.

I've just bought a 1996 Proflex 856 and know absolutely nothing about them.

I'm picking it up tomorrow, subject to it meeting the description, It's got full XT and is running on springs rather than elastomer bushes.

Is there anyone who can tell me a bit about them please?

Are they any good?

How much were they new?

Anything to look out for?

Hi,

I am on the same learning curve :LOL:

I am led to believe they ride well and build quite light :cool:

My story so far is in the link in my sig :)

WD :)

Had my 856 from new as frame / fork.

Can't mind how much I paid for it, but its the only bike i've kept from new, so I obviously like it.

I still think its the first full suss which really worked. The others I rode at the time didn't have the same feel or ballance to them.

Also like the way they can be easily stripped down and repaired if needs be.

The springs are a good upgrade from the MCU's they came with. RDS is a good source of info on them.

I'm a fan.

Well i picked it up yesterday and it appears tidy enough, the cranks feel free from play, as does the headset, bottom bracket, wheel bearings and all linkages.

Any ideas what year it might be? The bloke who i bought it from thought it may be 1996 or 1997 but wasn't sure.

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

I'll list the stuff that i know it's got, XT f&r mechs, not sure what era though, probably the originals.

Mavic 237 rims on Deore LX hubs.

Shimano V brakes, think they may be Deore, can't see XT or XTR marked anywhere.

RD springs f&r

XT brake levers with 8sp grip shift.

I paid £225 for it, do you guys think that's about right?

Anyway, i've been ordering some bits and bobs for upgrade:
Mavic XC717 black rims,
Black double butted spokes,
Gold anodised spoke nipples,
XTR V brakes,
XT shifters,
M950 XTR rear mech
XTR cables (gear and brake)
ODi Yeti hardcore grips,
IG70 chain
IRC Mythos tyres

Looking for some XT or XTR cranks, rolls saddle and new seatpost. It should look well when it's done.

i know almost nothing about proflex bikes but i'd pay £225 for that , it's cracking :D did you check the frame over for cracks ?

and i'm selling a set of yellow raceface cranks that would look cracking on it btw ;) :LOL:

big.eck":1w5tsylb said:
i know almost nothing about proflex bikes but i'd pay £225 for that , it's cracking :D did you check the frame over for cracks ?

and i'm selling a set of yellow raceface cranks that would look cracking on it btw ;) :LOL:

There weren't any that i could find, not in the usual kind of places anyway.

You're right, those yellow race face cranks would look mint on it, but being 9 speed i'd have to change the bottom bracket, rear hub, shifters and rear mech too :cry:

not much wrong with that m8
had a red 856 bitd (96) built from a frame judys/xt/middleburn/hopes
was a brilliant bike ,sold it for next to nowt ,what an arse :LOL:

Back