When do you qualify for being 'IN' with the LBS?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
At what point do you go from being a pain in the arse to becoming one of 'the included' at the LBS?

I seem to be allowed bikestand side of the workshop now and even make/ get made tea and use tools these days and feel duely priveledged to be allowed to do so.

And I will never take this honour for granted, but I can't remember when it was that I was just a hanger on-er and got in the way. So where is that line drawn?

Obviously years of cakes helps, (and spending money) (and a certain spiritual connection - having the same ti hardtail as the owner and a similar appreciation of retroness) but it's something I think we could all aim for as it feels so much nicer to be on first name terms with the people that keep your biking world afloat - your support team HQ.

I don't think I'd feel right having two of these relationships. So I'm a one workshop man. Anyone got two? Or more? You dirty harletts.

:)

for me it was the day i walked into the marin dealer in the rhondda with the TEAM FRS

i dont think any of them had seen one for 10 - 12 years , or for that matter even then :D

got "invited " into the inner sanctom , and allowed to rummage

even came away with some freebies ;)

I knew I was "in" when I started to visit the shop to they would deal with everyone else that came in the store first.
customer: "I think he was ahead of me in line."
shop guy: "Oh he just hangs here, he can wait."

I really knew I was in when they started paying me. :D

SLIM":3c6qrz8y said:
for me it was the day i walked into the marin dealer in the rhondda with the TEAM FRS

Ahh, the old 'walk in with a swanky machine' routine. - nice. Did that with a Pace back in the day, and the t**t behind the counter told me 'he'd seen too many snap - that didn't work that time (not my current lbs eith i might add.

But it's clearly a right of biking passage isn't it?

Getting mentioned as the one that hangs around and being bumped down the que - definately a proud moment.

come to mikes bikes in cambridge ware i work, people just walk about everyware and use the work shop as a cut throu to the show room! and when moaned at they look blank even thou there is a massive sign! if your retro lover and in cambs pop by for a chat! if new school then spend some money! lol

:D

kase1983":37t1as2u said:
if your retro lover and in cambs pop by for a chat! if new school then spend some money! lol

what a nice offer. You'll have the biggest 'in' clique of any bike shop by the end of the day lol.

I've been to Cambridge, and remember two shops. but can't remember their names. hmm.

Happens the other way around for me. At one time almost ALL of my riding mates have worked at the lbs, so I almost always have a good relationship with them. Kinda sucks when they hire new people and no-one knows you though.

All the saturday staff at my LBS run a mile when they see me coming and point me at the owner as they know i'll ask some stupid question that they will have no idea about... a couple of them are quite knowledgeable though.. however i haven't really made the most use of them as i should have yet as wife keeps interefering in my bike weekends..

:LOL: at Hilts .

I use to ride with the LBS owner all the time . and each LBS had their gang of followers . When we were on a same trail , the speed always increased a lot . :LOL:

Back