I know it's tyres but...

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Looking at Richie B's Fisher has just made me think that one of the most obvious and IMO sadly missed aesthetic retroness statements is amber wall tyres and black/ CD rims.

I was in the garage last night playing with bikes and tried out some Team Master/ Control tyres on my modern hardtail (with CD rims) and it looked so much better than the ugly black wall's that were on there. And black walls seem to look even worse (IMO) on silver rims. Watched Dirt this morning over breakfast and JMC's Spesh looked so much cooler than Hemming's Orange because of those black rims against amber wall tyres.

Why can't we go back to amber wall tyres?, they looked so much better.

(sorry for talking about tyres - I'll get my coat :oops: :oops: )

scant":32qelti0 said:
amberwalls are buggas to keep clean tho.

that's true. I have got 'orrible oily marks all over the walls of my wildgrippers that I've swapped around more times than ridden!

Tyres are the one thing that I don't really get sentimental about. I'll put any tyre on any bike as long as its the right tyre for the job.

I know it's poncey and I should agree with you Russell, but I think tyres are like wheels on cars or shoes with suits - very important to fit the right one for the right one.

For example - last night I put some 2.1 Explorer pro tections on the dekerf and it looked like it was waering baloons. Swapped them for thinner wildgrippers and although the colour's not my fave, it just looked right.

Yes, apparently the gangstas in LA are rolling with black rims this year. Chrome 'Spinners' are for last years ride.

Westside.

I was more thinking of some of the more perfectly suited wheels to cars of taste...such as the wheels off the Lancia Delta Integrale or the pepperpots on Alfa 33 sportwagons (well, nearly all Alfa wheels) or the Pirelli P wheels on the later Golf Mk1 cabrio's...that sort of thing.

:)

I cannot stand black walls. Give me amber wall on a Mavic CD rim. It just is right, off road, on road, hybrid, touring, anything really.

And if it is sad... so what! Some may say that playing around with old bikes is sad. My mother in law thinks that saving for a Porsche is sad. My little bro thinks that listening to Niel Diamond is sad.

I don't care! It's nice to be sad sometimes. ;)

Those Alfa wheels always remind me of the great ones on the Countach :)

alfa_range_2005.jpg
1121034-wheel.jpg

Campagnolo? :shock:

Back