So what's the story with Dekerf?

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Don't worry, this isn't one of those 'I hate 'em so everyone else should' threads! :roll:

Thing is, until I came on here I can't remember ever hearing about them. My golden era for mtb's was '88 to '94 and it's not a name that registers from back then.

They obviously have a large fan club and seem to go for lot's of pennies so it'd be great if you lot could fill me in with what I'm missing. ;) :? :?

A high end Canadian manufacturer is all I've ever known. They are the aspire too but unlikely to ever own unless cash is not a problem steel frame builder. First dedicated single speed mtb that I ever saw was a DeKerf and the first softail I ever seen was a DeKerf. Dream bike stuff :D

I walked into a bike store here in Calgary last week and there was a lone brand new dekerf. First one I've ever seen in person. Although they did paint my explosif.

Chris DeKerf cut the seatstays too short on the prototype, and had to bridge the gap with a horizontal tube. Somebody said, "hey, that looks cool"...probably a girl, and the rest is history...

...OK, that's pretty much all made up. :LOL:

We used to carry his bikes for a while at the shop I worked at. Early 90s. He was an ex-Rocky welder. Nice bikes.

They are VERY nice bikes! :D Didn't start making them 'til '93.
Incredible razor sharp handling , climbs like you wouldn't believe, yet extremely comfy for days in the saddle.
The bigger ones do look a bit gooky, but they get the job done better than anything else!

brocklanders023":2ph09hsy said:
Thanks for the info gang. So are they hand made, and what steel is used for the tubes? :?
Early ones, to about '97 used Ritchey Logic (My '94 18.5" weighs 3.75lbs :shock: ) Later ones use 853,first with 725 stays, then full 853. The Generation used 725 thenm eventually 853. Here's a brief history:
http://www.dekerf.com/aboutus.asp#hist
You thinking of getting one? I would if I were you! Go on, it's Christmas! Why should the nippers have all the fun?

I never remember hearing about Dekerf either....obviously waaaay out of my price range BITD (and still now)

i have never recalled seeing another dekerf in the flesh bar my own. thats what i call rare.

i love the way the dekerf rides, very nice indeed and they climb better than any other hardtail i have rode.

im going to get a titanium elysium when i have the spare $3700 for the frame :LOL:

i will have to enjoy my uk limited for the time being however, chris used reynolds 631 on this model.

Back