Kona Sex Rear Brake Query...

Bike Hoarder

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi Chaps,

Aquired a Kona Sex One frame, and i've started throwing some parts on it. The rear brake routing has got me foxed though, anyone got any pics of it set up with cantis? :?

Ok so here are some pic's very kindly provided to me by other rb members. The pic's are from a Jamis bike but the rear brake technology is the same.

Attachments

• MrK rocker 3.jpg
    MrK rocker 3.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,033
Thanks mate, thats really helpful.

I've only ever seen one with v's on it, so i couldn't even imagine what it needed to run canti's.

Now, has anyone got one?? :roll:

Suppose one could be fabbed up quite easily.

Dear Father Christmas, I would like....

A lathe and milling machine please. :shock:

bringing thread back to life, with a twist.....................

- Sex One budget build

- rear brake mount gubbed as brake arm pivot shaft is snapped :roll:

- useable with V's as is easily enough, but for some really odd reason I'm determined to fit LX cantis

- mounts for brake arms/calipers themselves are ok. its just the unusual cable routing specific to Sex One is snapped off and i'm not about to drill it out at the moment and am trying to fabricate The Quick Fix ;)

- does the following look OK , see pic....mock up only - proper version will have better cable adjustment, length, wheel allingnment etc....i'm just checking the principle of operation here....

DSCF2621.jpg

Cable runs sheathed from rear of top tube into the canti straddle. Seems solid enough, seems to work, if OK will use slightly longer length of outer.

Alternative option I have is to use an internal cylinder head locating dowel from a GPZ900R and fabricate something with an old canti arm. The dowel in question is perfect in dimension as it matches the external diameter of a brake pivot, is hollow and accepts std pivot bolt, and I have several spare in the garage. This will mount to the comma shaped boss on the LH seatstay with cable coming from the cable stop above it. :D

:LOL:

Opinions on rough setup in photo :?:

Doubt that will work as there is no cable to be pulled between the end the outer and the link wire head (round bit with line on it).

I'd be tempted to run v-brake until you can get a link arm bit per the other picture.

TedC":3i5k02wj said:
Doubt that will work as there is no cable to be pulled between the end the outer and the link wire head (round bit with line on it).

I'd be tempted to run v-brake until you can get a link arm bit per the other picture.

Doesn't need to be any cable to pull on this type (unless I'm horribly mistaken) - the cable locks in position here, additionally supported by the cable end stop around the outer. Seems to work ok in practice so far

:?

I know its not ideal but.......as a get you moble measure I think its useable :?

Despite your explanation I can't see how that set up can pull a safe amount of cable to work.

Could you use the left braze on and have an offset setup and use the tension screws to balance it?

Back