Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:14 am 
Retro Guru

I've never been down the 1" Aheadset route and am looking for advice on a good one. My bikes get used so this is not for a garage queen.

I usually use FSA Orbit Extreme's in 1-1/8" with great success. Is the 1" any good?

Note - I really can't justify a CK for this build.

Reccomendations please people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:34 am 
Retro Guru

FSA Orbit is just fine. Another option would be a Cane Creek for instance. But they are harder to find in 1". For a pair price, stick to the FSA. Cheers :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:37 am 
Dirt Disciple

I use a 1'' orbit extreme, had it fitted since '93, no problems what so ever. never had to touch it.
as for a stem, it's a personal choice, i use a syncros one, which is solid, if you can put up with the sloping top-cap..
hope that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:11 am 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike

Don't forget campag, been using a record one for a good long while with its WTB greaseguard type seals, nice!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:02 am 
98+ BoTM | BoTM | Gold | Rider
98+ BoTM | BoTM | Gold | Rider

messiah wrote:
Note - I really can't justify a CK for this build.

I've wrecked pretty much every headset I've had except a King.. Headsets and BBs are so important on a build for me, if one of them buggers up, the ride is ruined..

I wish King made BBs.. :roll:

Anyways, to be more helpful to you, I've seen quite a few NOS Shimano [threaded] 1"ers on the 'Bay..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:52 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Messiah,

If you are planning on riding the bike and want to enjoy it, that is justification enough to put a King headset on it. Kings are expensive because the work for the long haul, the bling factor is just for extra smiles.

Don't skimp, you deserve it!

Kingroon,

Why do you wish King made BB"s when there is already a superior option...Phil Wood!

I've never heard of a Phil BB ever hitting the bin due to worn out parts, ever.

In fact, I know of a few that have outlasted the last three frames they've been installed in.

Perfection aint cheap, but when factored out over thirty years it becomes a bargin.

cheers,

rody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:08 am 
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner

rody wrote:
Messiah,

If you are planning on riding the bike and want to enjoy it, that is justification enough to put a King headset on it. Kings are expensive because the work for the long haul, the bling factor is just for extra smiles.

Don't skimp, you deserve it!

Kingroon,

Why do you wish King made BB"s when there is already a superior option...Phil Wood!

I've never heard of a Phil BB ever hitting the bin due to worn out parts, ever.

In fact, I know of a few that have outlasted the last three frames they've been installed in.

Perfection aint cheap, but when factored out over thirty years it becomes a bargin.

cheers,

rody
beat me to it. now if phil only made a headset....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Kings rock. And you will get yor money's worth out of them. If you don't want ot be a part of the "Chris King Club" though :roll: and you just need a headset that works and will work for years to come, FSA Duron comes in a 1". I love quality componentry, but I've had a headset made up of 4 different headsets on my blizzard for three years now. And yes I ride the shit out of it. A headset is not a place you need to spend tons on unless it's a jumping or dh bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:48 pm 
Old School Hero

you can get a converter for the later shimano 1" cartridge headsets to make them threadless, and last time i lookes wiggle still had stock of the 1" stx headsets(and converters)... i bought one to use the bearings when my lx one seized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:04 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

The bearings in my FSA Orbit went weird after 18 months because they're roller bearings. And other non-cartridge bearings have only one fate. Death! Initial cost usually dictates their lifespan. One exception is Campagnolo Record, if they are loved and well maintained. But, they can command as much money as a King now.
In my opinion, cartridge replaceable bearings are best, because the headset can practically live forever due to the bearing being the only thing that wears out. We all know these are fully available over the counter at little cost.
(Imagine if all our Ti Bottom brackets didn't have replaceable cartridge bearings! I've given my main bike new BB bearings every 2 years for the last 10, and it's like new every time. I see no reason why it shouldn't last another 10 , and so on).
Two most important factors, the seals and the bearings.
Chris King isn't the only one making this type of headset.