Marin hardtail geometry?

haggis

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Anybody know anything of the geometry for mid nineties marins? In particular i'm looking for the headtube length on a '95 Bear Valley. Ta

For a 1994 size 17.5 Pine Mountain you need a steerer 190mm long with a decent-ish headset.

Just discovered my 185mm steerer forks won't go... :(

Let me know if you want a better measurement of the head tube...

I could go measure up a 1995 Bear Valley SE, probably going to be in the region of 18/19" Marin measurements (CtC) though i'm not actually sure.

Still as it was originally bar some inner tubes :)

EDIT though form the 95 catalouge
Marin Bear Valley

Best guess translation (and then put in to bike term)

Sitzwinkel = Seat angle
Steuerwinkel = Head angle
Oberrohrlange = Top tube length
Steuerrohrlange = Steerer tube length
Tretlagerhohe = Bottom bracket height

Attachments

• MarinGeom95BV.JPG
    MarinGeom95BV.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 1,891
hamster":t8kk33dc said:
For a 1994 size 17.5 Pine Mountain you need a steerer 190mm long with a decent-ish headset.

Just discovered my 185mm steerer forks won't go... :(

Let me know if you want a better measurement of the head tube...

in 1995 it was 120cm long, so assume you're using ahead even though it was still threaded even in 1995, you should be able to get away with the 185 if you use a different headset and 35/40mm stem stack.

185mm-40mm-120mm+3mm, gives you a 28mm stack height to play with.
Which shouldn't be too hard to find.

My 17.5" 1994 Muirwoods has a 120mm headtube and runs with it's original 160mm threaded steerer forks.
I did try a set of ahead forks which had a steerer length of about 190mm and they fitted fine.
Switched back to the original forks though as they are so much nicer.

long dead thread...

Been fiddling with forks on a 17.5". What crown to axle length would have been original on that size Marin rigid?

My un-original Marins are near enough 40.5cm, as opposed to some others I've seen at 39cm. Not sure which is correct, or best!

Re:

You can expect 39 cm for original stuff.. Although I can't blame you for trying to get the front end up a bit.

The face down, arse up geometry of marins 1990 to 1995 kinda kill my back.

My experience is that they switched the geometry design of the frame yet kept the shorter fork in 1994-5, a somewhat odd decision.

As a result the bikes ride somewhat nervously. Swapping to a 63-80mm sus fork or 410-420mm a/c rigid improved things dramatically for me.

Back