BOTM March entry : 1990 Bridgestone MB-0

holden

Retro Guru
1990 Bridgestone MB-0 42cm / #8xx

Acquired in early 2005. Excellent condition at time but frame paint professionally restored for chips and light chainsuck. Came with original components except: grips (should be gray Ritchey True grips), seatpost + saddle (which are currently on another bike but I do like the way the Campy post and Brooks Swift saddle look on this bike) and Superbe Pro pedals (should be XC-Pro bodies) with track cages.

The 1990 model is my favorite Zip; elegant build and beautiful retro-ish decals. Key problems with 1990 MB-0's though are mediocre welds (not lugged like other Bridgestones and poorly executed), structurally weak unheat-treated tube set and fragile paint. A classic anomoly for the company nevertheless.

Attachments

• holden_90BridgestoneMB0_03.jpg
    holden_90BridgestoneMB0_03.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2,877
  • holden_90BridgestoneMB0_02.jpg
    holden_90BridgestoneMB0_02.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,878
  • holden_90BridgestoneMB0_01.jpg
    holden_90BridgestoneMB0_01.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2,878
holden":3k924xsl said:
The 1990 model is my favorite Zip; elegant build and beautiful retro-ish decals. Key problems with 1990 MB-0's though are mediocre welds (not lugged like other Bridgestones and poorly executed), structurally weak unheat-treated tube set and fragile paint. A classic anomoly for the company nevertheless.

Quirky fact is also the Zip is Tw made ...and the models sitting under it in Jp.

I think your bike is a very serious contender in the BOTM, Holden. It is very clean & pure. Funny to see we have with the Roberts, Serotta ...and now your Bridgstone already 3 about similar entries: steel, distinguished, elegant

Thats very, very nice. It just looks like it begs to be ridden like a workhorse. I dont know how much work you had to do sourcing those parts, but its a very nice build. Right up there with the Ringle bling often seen here. If this goes up, it will get my vote.

That's just stunning - a world away from the garish and OTT (not that I don't like them 'cause I do!) and simply beautiful...

I know what I'll be voting for...

thanks for the comments everyone.

re: parts sourcing: fortunately when i got the bike it was fairly complete except for the pedals. all the parts are somewhat challenging to find but the brake levers are probaby the hardest; factory drilled out bodies. also, the rear hub is an unusual 130mm spacing.

Back