Rock Shox Judy Help!

stu

jammy git
Help! one of the bolts on my Judy crown is rounded off, what's the best thing to do? was stripping them down for a total overhaul and found this out :cry:

Stu

hey stu, hows it going?

depending on how bad it is, using a brand new allen key, & applying maximum downward force, "gently" may do it, (sounds obvious i know, but it works) either that or use an impact driver.

has darren still got his GT?? :roll:

I usualy get a hacksaw and cut a narrow channel across the top of the bolt then use a big screwdriver and undo it that way. Usually works.

If all else fails go to a good machinery supplies wholesaler and get a 'easy-out' set. A bit like a tap in reverse. Drill a small hole into the bolt, easy out has a left hand threas on a taper and as you do it up it will unscrew the old bolt. Mine are a lifesver and cost a fiver!

Cool, cheers guys.....I'll give these methods a go and let you know how I get on :D

Yep, Darren still has his LTS-DH hanging up in the shed, still won't part with it though, happy memories of Grimsby Castle I guess!

Stu

This happened to me on a set of Marzocchi XC400's years ago.
I just got a small sized drill bit, and drilled it from the other end. When the bit bites in to the bolt, it will unwind itself out.

To service, you don't have to take the crown of.
But I guess all other advice will help to get the bolt out, maybe better for the next time to change them.

LTS Biker":25s7pk8f said:
To service, you don't have to take the crown of.
But I guess all other advice will help to get the bolt out, maybe better for the next time to change them.

Normally I wouldn't take them all apart but I'm treating the crown to a mirror polish, probably change all four bolts to fresh ones while they are out :D

Our engineers at work are pretty handy with an easy out set so they are gonna take a look for me this week, fingers crossed ;)

Are there any hop-up parts that are worth buying for the old Judy? the stanchions seem pretty good but I don't hold out much hope for the guts inside, hope I'm proved wrong!

Stu

You can find quite much on ebay for the judy's, only look for the right type. You can find springs, adjusterknobs and cartridges.

Back