Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:26 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:17 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I was fettling today, mostly stripping and re-building the zaskar, but I needed to do a little work to the Prestige and as I worked, I realised that I have no desire whatsoever to ride it!

The Zas is my workhorse, I love it, its damn near bomb-proof, handles like its on rails and does everything well. 8 time out of 10, I'll pick it when going riding.

The Orange however is there for the memories, its in great condition, has a dura ace rear mech which probably won't shift that well, a white saddle which should never get dirty and never gets ridden... And thats how i want it to stay. I own a garage queen!

It was a shock, the realisation that I've made the transition from 'rider' to 'collector', but I've done it and I'm actually quite happy about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:20 pm 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

youcan always nip out on a sunny summer's day when there's no danger of any dirt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master

:lol:

or just take photos of it.

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:40 pm 
Retro Guru

If my bike's a garage queen then it would have to be Lilly Savage.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:59 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

:lol: Aw come on Russ, gotta get it mucky. I work on the principle that the weary outy stuff is always avalible and the frame cam be repainted. If you use it sparingly (which is why I have 3 retro bikes, soon to be 4, so the load is spread between them) you can always ride retro! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:53 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I agree with Stick Legs; if you have enough retro bikes and rotate often you'll never wear a chain out again :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:07 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Russell wrote:
It was a shock, the realisation that I've made the transition from 'rider' to 'collector', but I've done it and I'm actually quite happy about it.

For me it is about the same. I kept riding the old stuff, as I thought they were better, better looking and got soul. Later I discovered classified and auction sites on the internet and I saw everything went for ridiculously low prices, so money well spent I reasoned and soon I had a lot. About 2 yrs ago I smashed to the ground with my gold Miyata. I never fell, but now I fell very hard. Fortunately not much damage, but I weren't able to bike for several months. Since than I retired some bikes, the gold Miyata and my blue TrailRunner being 2 of them. I allocated funds to an e-stay Panasonic for everyday rides. My smash to the ground woke me up I am now a collector :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:33 pm 
Retro Guru

It happened to me at the top of Vancouver's North Shore. I was standing in lycra with clip pedals and leaning against my 80mm travell Y-BB.
Three guys arrived (from the road drop off) wearing full face helmets, hockey equiptment and 8in travell bikes. They just stared at me.
The ride down was even freakier than usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:52 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm with Stick and Elev12k. If you can't pull it down and take if for a ride it's not worth collecting - you're not fully appreciating the pieces in your collection!

It may be the jewel of your collection now, but if you continue to collect you'll find you have to ride them all to continue to feel the connection with them. Trust me, I have a few. :wink: