Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:56 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:31 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:37 am
Posts: 4916
I've heard great things about the ST4, and I'd like to try one at some point.

I used to have a Patriot and loved every second of it (on the odd occasion I got to stretch it's legs).

What does your Five weigh in at?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro is Right
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:31 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:12 am
Posts: 2461
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Tallpaul wrote:
When platformed damped shocks offer comparable performance to a hard-tail when climbing, what disadvantage do they have?


Slightly more weight, higher maintenance and the average rider has no idea about setting up suspension to work properly.

But in all honesty I'd take my 5 Spot over any of my retro rides if its going to be long, at a reasonable pace or over unknow terrain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: ..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:37 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Wales
Tallpaul wrote:
I've heard great things about the ST4, and I'd like to try one at some point.

I used to have a Patriot and loved every second of it (on the odd occasion I got to stretch it's legs).

What does your Five weigh in at?


Not weighed it, but i reckon 28.5lbs. It's not the real weight though, it's the way it feels heavier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro is Right
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:41 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Wales
andrewl wrote:
Tallpaul wrote:
When platformed damped shocks offer comparable performance to a hard-tail when climbing, what disadvantage do they have?


Slightly more weight, higher maintenance and the average rider has no idea about setting up suspension to work properly.

But in all honesty I'd take my 5 Spot over any of my retro rides if its going to be long, at a reasonable pace or over unknow terrain.


Length of ride is a huge factor.

You've hit on a very important point. Setting up suspension. I'm not sure that "the average rider" has no idea, but before buying one, you should definitely make sure you know what you're doing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro is Right
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:50 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:37 am
Posts: 4916
andrewl wrote:

Slightly more weight, higher maintenance and the average rider has no idea about setting up suspension to work properly.



I agree with both those things, but I was thinking that the sort of people who actually buy £2.5k bikes like this are more mature and way more serious about riding than someone who just buys MBUK and wants a FS because they are told they want one.

ratbane wrote:
It's not the real weight though, it's the way it feels heavier.


Fair point. But the saying it feels heavier implies it's more of a slog to ride, when your times suggest otherwise. Defo, it can't be as agile and nimble as the Explosif but then again I see that as a tool for a specific purpose.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if I could only have one bike for the rest of my life, it would be something like a Five.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro is Right
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:59 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Wales
Tallpaul wrote:
andrewl wrote:

Slightly more weight, higher maintenance and the average rider has no idea about setting up suspension to work properly.



I agree with both those things, but I was thinking that the sort of people who actually buy £2.5k bikes like this are more mature and way more serious about riding than someone who just buys MBUK and wants a FS because they are told they want one.

ratbane wrote:
It's not the real weight though, it's the way it feels heavier.


Fair point. But the saying it feels heavier implies it's more of a slog to ride, when your times suggest otherwise. Defo, it can't be as agile and nimble as the Explosif but then again I see that as a tool for a specific purpose.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if I could only have one bike for the rest of my life, it would be something like a Five.


Can't disagree with you. It's a great choice as a one stop bike.

The O5 isn't a slog, what I'm describing is the way it makes you feel when you are riding it. The Kona is much more exciting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:28 pm
Posts: 4179
Location: rutland
Whenever I ride anything with sushpensione after about 5 mins I get bored and start wondering why I didn't stay sat on the sofa and just watch countryfile .

I would think I was being punished for something if I had to endure that level of boredom for an entire day :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:52 pm 
SotS Winner
SotS Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:23 pm
Posts: 1775
Location: Grazed and amused
I've raced both my Xizang and my TREK Fuel EX* this past summer - as any one who owns one will tell you, nothing climbs like a Xizang - it feels like someone is pushing you up the hills sometimes! On other parts of the course though the Fuel is definitely faster - scary rocky descents you can just hold on to the bars, let go of the brakes and trust the bike to carry you through, rely on the 8" discs to stop you fast if they have to - on the Xizang these parts of the course require a lot more thought care and hand-cramp inducing use of the brakes. In the singletrack the Xizang is fast, but the Fuel is suprisingly nimble too - the rear shock means you don't lose forward momentum when the back wheel drops into a hole or hits a root, small obstacles like logs can just be ridden over. Flat out sprinting - well the Xizang weighed about 23.5lbs in geared/front suspension build, the Fuel is about 27.5 - it's just basic physics - the Xizang sprints like a whippet on crack, the Fuel sprints okay (pro-pedal) but you definitely feel like your fighting gravity a bit.

I know I feel a lot tireder after a few hours on the GT, but I also feel like I've really ridden the course. The Fuel is really what I think of as my 'play' bike - you can have a lot of fun on it without thinking about it too much!

Aesthetically - well I love most bikes, regardless of age, i do think my Fuel is a very cool looking bike, but probably not as timeless as th Xizang.



Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: ....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:05 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Wales
perry wrote:
Whenever I ride anything with sushpensione after about 5 mins I get bored and start wondering why I didn't stay sat on the sofa and just watch countryfile .

I would think I was being punished for something if I had to endure that level of boredom for an entire day :lol:


You've hit the nail on the head methinx.

Countryfile here I come.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:07 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:55 pm
Posts: 4309
Location: In trubble'fsumthin r'uther....North Warwickshire
mechagouki wrote:
I've raced both my Xizang and my TREK Fuel EX* this past summer - as any one who owns one will tell you, nothing climbs like a Xizang - it feels like someone is pushing you up the hills sometimes! On other parts of the course though the Fuel is definitely faster - scary rocky descents you can just hold on to the bars, let go of the brakes and trust the bike to carry you through, rely on the 8" discs to stop you fast if they have to - on the Xizang these parts of the course require a lot more thought care and hand-cramp inducing use of the brakes. In the singletrack the Xizang is fast, but the Fuel is suprisingly nimble too - the rear shock means you don't lose forward momentum when the back wheel drops into a hole or hits a root, small obstacles like logs can just be ridden over. Flat out sprinting - well the Xizang weighed about 23.5lbs in geared/front suspension build, the Fuel is about 27.5 - it's just basic physics - the Xizang sprints like a whippet on crack, the Fuel sprints okay (pro-pedal) but you definitely feel like your fighting gravity a bit.

I know I feel a lot tireder after a few hours on the GT, but I also feel like I've really ridden the course. The Fuel is really what I think of as my 'play' bike - you can have a lot of fun on it without thinking about it too much!

Aesthetically - well I love most bikes, regardless of age, i do think my Fuel is a very cool looking bike, but probably not as timeless as th Xizang.



Image





thats interesting....ihave a 2009 trek fuel ex9 and have done comparable back to back rides on it and my 91 klein attitude with simaler conclusions......horses for courses really,both have their strong points,its good to have a choice.......i dont share this modern bike phobia snobbery thing.....i did a 5+ hour ride on the long mynd two weeks ago and toward the end was glad of a few inches of travel and discs.....the klein would have kicked the cr@p out of me!!!....the fuels do look the bizzo,i agree.....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: grarea, IHateRain, Mahoney1978, tigern and 46 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group