Refurb a 92 Orange Clockwork LX

Tollers

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Just been reading through old posts and instantly registered. I think this forum is just the place i need right now.

After years not using bike bike (in fact since i hit 17. Im 32 now), i got back into cycling this year and have become as enthusiastic as i was until I had my old Saracen Tuff Trax half inched in 1991.

Anyway, i went into my parents shed the other day to check out my last mountain bike (Alex), a matt black '92 Orange clockwork with Tange Infinity, Deore LX and some beautiful orange anodised handlebars with built in bar ends. I'm now intent on getting it up and running and as close to perfact as my laziness will allow me.

My question is what should i think about refurbing/replacing? It's overall in pretty good nick (having sat untouched in the shed for at least 13 years) and probably only every having done less than 1500 miles.

What do i need to refurb other than usual tools? Should i plan on replacing anything? Are bearings and bits for all this old LX kit still easily available in LBS? How do you guys get everything so shiny?

Thanks in advance

Tollers

First things first

Welcome

Secondly please post photos, we're a simply bunch and like pretty pictures :D

welcome friend....i would start with a damn good scrub up and polish.......a new set of cables and outers will get the gears and brakes back to standard and possibly a repack of hubs/headset/b.bracket with new bearings and grease......with only 1500 miles under its belt there shouldnt be too many other issues......photos please!!!

hey tollers

pics always good! they help us advise you, the above info is bang on though, i bet the guts of the bike is bang on and if you do take it anywhere near a bike shop then find one that will do a sympathetic refurb, meaning don't let them put any modern stuff on it! that would ruin it!

all the parts you may need should be available at a good shop, bearings, cables , axle cones etc. show them the bike so they can see the part codes on the hubs etc so they can get the exact parts you may need, or just show us and we can help out!

:D

Scrat":3pk7zsul said:
First things first

Welcome

Secondly please post photos, we're a simply bunch and like pretty pictures :D

Second that :D

Ooooooo, get some pics up cos I love a bit of Clockwork action! :oops: :cool:

Should be an easy fix following what's been said above. Pictures will tell all. ;)

Thanks guys.

You'll have to wait for pics as it's currently at my parents place. I might head over on saturday and see how far i can get with it. Will be sure to take the camera.

Tollers

I would guess the things you're most likely to need to replace after that long in storage are the inner tubes, possibly the tyres and the brake blocks.

I'd be inclined to use new inner tubes anyway, because of Sod's Law. You'll be able to see whether the tyres have aged because they've either cracked enough to cause you concern or they haven't. Personally I'd replace the brake blocks as well, because they weren't that powerful in the first place and they're likely to have gone quite hard so they won't grip too well. You might be able to renovate them by cutting the surface off with a sharp blade to reveal softer material underneath, but you could be fighting a losing battle with pads that old.

Other than that, as said you might profit from renewing the cables at some point, always a sound thing to do, and you'll likely need to oil the pivots to get the mechs and brakes into full working order, and a spot of WD40 into the shifters won't do any harm. But basically you've got a very good bike there. LX kit is sound and well enough made, if it worked then, it should work now.

OK guys,

I spent 8 hours at my folks place and gave Alex a complete rebuild and polish. From looking at him, i'm now amazed that he's 17. He doesnt look quite new, but still close. You all asked for pics. Well, this is him once i was finished.....

4103318153_97a1256620_b.jpg

Ram rod bars:

4103320293_110ff474ff_b.jpg

4104090382_3e1a802706_b.jpg

Seat tube:
4104087716_67f263a6ae_b.jpg

One clean chainset:
4104082620_40ab9317ca_b.jpg

Clean mech and cassette
4103326239_981081198f_b.jpg

Whatever happened to shark fins? I used to think they were so cool? OK.....maybe the chain could do with replacing!
4103333637_5897229c54_b.jpg

Horrible original saddle. I think i might replace this

4103342629_e9d90715cc_b.jpg

So what do you guys think? Im happy and he rides pretty well. Better than my 08 Cannondale Badboy actually.

Tollers

Back