COOLWALL: Were POWERGRIPS ever cool?

Were Powergrips cool?

• Yay! Got on with them brilliantly...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not really experienced them/have no opinion on the matter

• Stupid elasticated strappy things that gave me foot cramp...

• Total voters

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Remember these?

powergrips_438_general.jpg

Who on here used them and did you like them? Dont see many retro rebuilds speccing these but Im thinking of doing this on one of my bikes.

I used them on my main rider back in the day prior to spds.

Not cool. Bought some when I was 14 and it just wasted £20 I should have put toward my first SPD's.

Where is the advantage over clips and straps anyway? They look stupid too. And once they get dirty they are impossible to clean.

If these are 'cool' then I hope to god all my kit 'aint! :LOL:

Never saw the point, so didn't use them. Went straight from normal clips/straps to spds

They were quite clever cos in theory you stuck your foot in and twisted. As you twisted they "bound" to your foot and gripped it quite well. I did mash up several pairs of shoes though using these. And I lost three toes due to circulation problems but that didnt bother me... :?

jez-2-many-bikes":3493s0dp said:
Cindy Devine used them when she rode for Kona. I think Herbold used them too.

I used them aswell (in green) so they must be cool.

:cool: :p :cool:

Tinker used them! I don't know of Herbold using them, but I do know Greg closely worked with Shimano on the SPD ...and later with Onza on the HO's

Well, show them. Sounds interesting. On all pics I have -quite a lot- I see clipless pedals. Already on his 90 DH rig Greg had SPD's ➡️ see pic

Of course it could be he rode them before that or that he incidently has been spotted riding a bike with them for some kind of reason.

rr1.jpg

i had a set of these and i loved them, mine were bright red and they gripped your trainers really well ? ( well i was 14 and cycling shoes were kinda geeky !!) :D

Back