What is mid-range?

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Since BoTM is headed a little off course thought this topic deserved a seperate thread.

Seemingly my somewhat arbitary definition of mid range as being bikes with Deore LX or less has not met with universal approval. So, what do you think?

For me mid-range has always meant a bike which sits at least three or four models from the top of a larger brands' range.

Groupset: Mainly LX, STX, XC-E or lower but possibly with a rear mech or perhaps shifters up-specced to make it more appealing to the potential buyer.

Components: Mainly built with manufacturer branded items like the stem, bars etc, as opposed to non OEM parts.

As for frame material I'd say 4130 steel, or 7000 series alloy, but not ti or 6061 etc.

And it had to be available as a complete bike for about £600 or less.

That's me for starters...

There are some miserable sods about :D
I hope I don't offend too many people but it will be nice to see some bikes more representative of what a lot of people actually ride. Should be STX though.

cheers

Jon

I would of said Lx to but having a look at bike pedia for 1997 , Stx seems to be the mid range with LX actually on the higher models with XT/XTR on the very highest expensive bikes :?

dek1165":147csr4v said:
There are some miserable sods about :D

As you yourself has just proved ;)

dek1165":147csr4v said:
I hope I don't offend too many people but it will be nice to see some bikes more representative of what a lot of people actually ride. Should be STX though.

cheers

Jon

Odd comment. Think what you might see in readers bikes and out on the rides is what people ride... everything from stx to xtr. Just as it's always been, a real mix.

drystonepaul":2j9rs7iz said:
For me mid-range has always meant a bike which sits at least three or four models from the top of a larger brands' range.

Groupset: Mainly LX, STX, XC-E or lower but possibly with a rear mech or perhaps shifters up-specced to make it more appealing to the potential buyer.

Components: Mainly built with manufacturer branded items like the stem, bars etc, as opposed to non OEM parts.

As for frame material I'd say 4130 steel, or 7000 series alloy, but not ti or 6061 etc.

I reckon that's pretty bang on in my opinion, especially the point about frame material. Most mid range bikes were offered to give the most balanced package of frame and components that wouldn't fall to bits if they were ridden seriously off road, or even raced a little.. Therefore boutique frames with cheaper bits don't really qualify ;)

Mid range for me was always the stx-rc/Lx rather than XT(r), srt-400/600 instead of x rays, quadras rather than judy/pace etc and mavic 238's, 221's instead of 217s...

Odd way to define it perhaps, but i started out mid 90's...

Think kona cindercone, trek 930 SHX, orange p7 (ahem...), gt pantera etc etc.

Catch my drift?

mynchiboy":1c2xaxkp said:
drystonepaul":1c2xaxkp said:

I reckon that's pretty bang on in my opinion, especially the point about frame material. Most mid range bikes were offered to give the most balanced package of frame and components that wouldn't fall to bits if they were ridden seriously off road, or even raced a little.. Therefore boutique frames with cheaper bits don't really qualify ;)

Ah but Cannondale entry models had the same frame as their top end. Just to be awkward of course :LOL:

Although good frame crap components does have its merits.

Back