Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:56 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:27 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

For me, at the very start of the 90's, mid-range was very much price orientated, rather than bike or groupset spec. Much of it was perceived image too, some 'high-end' manufacturers would put LX groupsets on bikes to keep costs relatively low, and some lesser manufacturers would put XT onto some of their lesser models, to boost credibility.

Marin were always strange for me, as you'de have the Muirwoods, pallisades, bear valley, pine mountain and Eldridge. all were very similar in terms of component spec, but prices would vary considerably (299 for the Muirwoods, up to £500+ for the eldridge??). I don't think, purely from memory (and I stand corrected here) that specs on any of these were less than LX, or more than DX?

I had a relatively 'low spec' frame, but with a half decent DX set-up. XT (and later, XTR) were always out of reach, but I still considered my complete bike (£550 rrp) to be 'Mid-Range' even back then.

So really the only answer is the 'complete package' and whether it's a lesser frame with good components, or good frame with lesser components?? That will tell you whether it's mid-range or not

The debate continues...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:29 pm 
Old School Grand Master

er, BMW 325?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:34 pm 
BoTM | rBoTY Winner
BoTM | rBoTY Winner

300–5000 hertz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:43 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Mid range was easier BITD, cos no suspension to worry about, £300 would get summat OK and £400-500 should get something decent enough for most normal people. butted tange cromo/ maybe alloy, deore lx +-

I still really appreciate retros in this category.

Now its much more difficult. I was checking out my mates intro to MTBing, lucky for him he got £200 quid off a £700 Kona alloy bad boy. He's done well, Rock shox forks, decent modern frame, ready for any type of MTBing , Deore gears and own brand/branded finishing. Boy done well. £400-£500 seems to get something more compromising these days, but then 16 years have passed and we've seen some crazy inflation in all other stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:35 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Stx groupset is mid range,LX is the 3rd top groupset,theres still 4 or 5 models below it
i consider a bike costing £500-£600 midrange.
they start @ fifty quid and go up to several thousand :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:50 am 
Old School Grand Master

tourney
altus
acera-x
alivio
stx
stx rc
deore lx
deore xt
xtr

STX it is then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:30 am 
PoTM & rBoTY Winner
PoTM & rBoTY Winner

I always thought of mid-range as decent but not blingy bikes that usually had standard non-branded or company branded OEM parts for seatpost/stem, etc, instead of the name brands that would find their way onto XT builds. As for components, they'd usually be outfitted with DX/LX/STX. They were solid bikes that worked, but weren't showy and were usually well under a $1,000. Like a "when i first got serious, but before I was obsessed" kind of bike :)

For me the $$ frame with workhorse parts is a different beast than the "mid-range" despite it being a more economical option than an XTR build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:28 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

drystonepaul wrote:
For me mid-range has always meant a bike which sits at least three or four models from the top of a larger brands' range.

Groupset: Mainly LX, STX, XC-E or lower but possibly with a rear mech or perhaps shifters up-specced to make it more appealing to the potential buyer.

Components: Mainly built with manufacturer branded items like the stem, bars etc, as opposed to non OEM parts.

As for frame material I'd say 4130 steel, or 7000 series alloy, but not ti or 6061 etc.

And it had to be available as a complete bike for about £600 or less.

That's me for starters...

that works for me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:58 am 
Retro Guru

GoldenEraMTB wrote:
drystonepaul wrote:
For me mid-range has always meant a bike which sits at least three or four models from the top of a larger brands' range.

Groupset: Mainly LX, STX, XC-E or lower but possibly with a rear mech or perhaps shifters up-specced to make it more appealing to the potential buyer.

Components: Mainly built with manufacturer branded items like the stem, bars etc, as opposed to non OEM parts.

As for frame material I'd say 4130 steel, or 7000 series alloy, but not ti or 6061 etc.

And it had to be available as a complete bike for about £600 or less.

That's me for starters...

that works for me :)

Concur: This is what I ride as my 'mid range bike' it has a baby seat opn the back at the moment: http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpec ... &Type=bike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:45 am 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

What I love most is that everyone knows what constitutes a mid-range bike but people are still trying to justify entering entry level or boutique bikes! :lol:

People will really do anything to get their bike in BOTM and that's why I love it so much! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next