Backtrax....where abouts in Saracen range?? and when ??

keitht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Done some searching and can't find anything on this model...

Plenty of info on Tuff, Pro, Ruff, Terra etc...but no Backtrax......anyone got some info for me...

So where did it fit in the range...and when was it produced..
Ta

Keith

Have you any pictures of it or details of what components it's got?

From memory it's a mid to late 90's Saracen and was a nearer the bottom of the range than the top.

Just picked it up from ebay...had a crap ( expensive ) week and had to bail out of a great deal...

So bought myself something cheaper to cheer myself up..plus will make great hack to put the kiide seat on..

Here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

K

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Mmmm? Looks nice that does. It appears to have had an easy life.
Bit of a mix of parts too.
From the frame and forks I'd say about 1994-1995, as although aheadsets were introduced as early as 1993, it would've taken a few years for this to trickle down to the lower range bikes.
The front mech is most likely original and appears to be STX as does the rear mech and possibly the brakes too. This would put it in the 1994 bracket.
I'm not sure whether the gripshift would have been OEM spec but again they look to fit in with the 1994 date.

The only thing which I'm guessing isn't original are the cranks which are 1992 Deore LX. But Saracen did have a habit of sometimes building bikes up for sale with old parts they had knocking around their assembly line, so that could possibly explain that particular anomily.

The cranks are nice and if you'd consider parting with them, then they would be a fantastic addition to complete my 92 Kili Racer. ;)

Thanks for the info..much appreciated..

Will let you know if i decide to change cranks... :)

Regards keith

keitht":3lypan8v said:
Done some searching and can't find anything on this model...

Plenty of info on Tuff, Pro, Ruff, Terra etc...but no Backtrax......anyone got some info for me...

So where did it fit in the range...and when was it produced..
Ta

Keith

Backtrax was third up from entry level Rufftrax in the 'sport' line up.

Here is the 'sport' line up

Protrax SE
Protrax
Tufftrax
Powertrax
Terratrax
Backtrax
Hardtrax
Rufftrax

Hope this helps :)

Chaser.

Actually the frame seems to match this one from 96. Except for cable noodle on top of seat tube.

Components look earlier though so could be as early as 93/4.

This thread should be moved into 'Early Saracen Lovers....' thread

Cheers,

Chaser.

Attachments

• 96 Backtrax.jpg
    96 Backtrax.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 3,069
Hi 'Paul,

Yes, I have the brochure here... I just need to figure out how to scan and load it.. :roll:

If there is any specific part of the brochure you need to see quickly I can send you a picture if it helps.

BTW going off topic a bit, I have decided to go with 'factory fresh' silver finishing kit on my Protrax, you will be pleased to hear.

Cheers,

Chaser. :D

I'd be interested to see the Rufftrax page, as I bought a fairly mint one for my son when down in Edinburgh recently. £35 off eBay, although I have spent some money upgrading the rear mech (200GS) and the front mech (LX, to be fitted), with parts bought from here.

Seems a nice bike, as shown below:

4081166452_221b78e2e3.jpg

Bigger image here:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2606/4081166452_221b78e2e3_b.jpg

Cheers
Steven

Back