Klein Mantra Pro - O/S stem needed

AndrewSpalding

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

Can't believe I haven't joined Retrobike sooner - am astonished by the phenomenal amount of info here! Great site!!

Hi too to any Klein Mantra owners out there - I'm the proud owner of a '99 Mantra Pro (yes, the 'chamaeleon' paint effect one) that I managed to pick up 'new' from a dealer in the US last year - it had been in the back of his storeroom since the bike first came out. I've kitted it out with 2006 XTR and, most recently, some of Ritchey's WCS Carbon parts - a sweet ride.

Now, the Ritchey handlebar I received as a gift and, with it being a 31.8mm oversized model, will need to change the stem on the bike. As the Mantras are fitted with 1.25" quill stems, is there anyone out there that can recommend a stem I can fit that will work (either that or some other workaround?). Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Andrew

Attachments

• The beast.JPG
    The beast.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,479
hi andrew,

that's NOT a 1.25" stem. it is a Klein specific size and only the old MC2 stem/handlebar combos or the stock MC3 (Klein/Icon) stems will fit. to my knowledge there is no 31.8mm bar stem available for that steerer tube size. well, wait, i dont know the Klein steerer tube size off the top of my head but think it is 1 3/8" so maybe these newish 1.5" stems may fit with a shim?

carsten

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the speed of your reply (and for correcting me too - I'd been told the steerer tube size was 1.25"). I'll look into what you've suggested (though if any other ideas come up, do let me know).

Many thanks!

Andrew

Back