Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:55 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Stuck seatpost
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:40 pm 
Retro Guru

Right - I hold my hands up, totally a schoolboy error, replaced seatpost in on my 97' Kona koa with a 27.2mm raceface jobby. Felt a bit tight goin in but seemed ok - I could have sworn this was the right size. Since discovered post size is incorrect (should be 27.0mm) and tried to remove it....

Would it budge? Would it 'eck!

Bought a nice replacement from simon off of this site & set about removing old post last night. I wasnt too bothered about saving old post so after trying to twist it out using an old saddle, getting a giant spanner round the old clamp etc I opted for sawing it out. Sawed off the post 1 inch above collar, then hacksawed down through the gap to pinch post in, then tried crushing post to pull out. After several attempts & an hour or so with a constant stream of WD40 still wont go & now the 1 inch flanges have all snaaped off - leaving me with nothing to get a good purchase to pull on post. I'm now half way through a tedious & v dodgy method of part drilling & filing post with a junior hacksaw blade!

Anyone got any better ideas to get the frigging thing out before I accidently do some damage?

Was maybe thinking dry ice & some sort of pull hammer?

I know this is a common q but couldnt find any other suggestions than the ones I have tried!

ta
Martin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:57 pm 
Retro Guru

a bit of a bind huh! :lol:

heat/ice could damage the frame paintowork & material heat-treatment, so it depends on how you feel about that, but thermal expansion differences should generate a clearance

not sure if this will work, but how about putting an aheadset star-thing into the seatpost and using that (with the frame in a vice - gently with a rag) to pull against with a long bolt through a plate ontop of the vice? (make sense?)

you also might find that overnight the WD40 has soaked in a bit loosening it

otherwise you've got a nice shim already inserted into your bike! (or take to a small engineering machinist and they'll machine it out for you)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:08 pm 
Retro Guru

I like the idea but this post is really really stuck - I think the star-fangled nut wud yield before the post. I dont want to damage the frame or paint. It's in superb condition for it's age in a really nice sunburst orange colour. I think best bets gonna be taking it to a workshop............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:41 am 
Retro Guru

Hi there was a readers tip in a recent copy of what mountain bike, i'll see if i can dig it out, its somewhere near the porcelain! They had a really good idea for removing without heat, you never know ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:14 am 
Retro Guru

cool, sounds good - cheers!

Small update is that I am now approx 1cm below the seat collar. What we have to remember is this isnt a case of a chemical reaction bond but more the fact the seatpost stuck is 0.2mm wider than it should be. Another 2hrs or so carefully filing & drilling I'll have the b*rst*rd out!

regards

Martin.