Middleburn crank history

Scrat

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can you guys please post photos and explain what the progression of Middleburn cranks has been

Cheers

In 1965 they made the RS7 and it had remained unchanged ever since. Or that is what it seems like to me.

Can start off with the RS1 MTB crank which I got one of the first of in early 94. Which I ran with Pace rings as Middleburn hadn't started doing them.

Similar in design to Cooks/topline with removable spider available in different colours, fitted with 5 small bolts. Runs on 118-122 mm BB axle.

STA70282.jpg

Shortly after came road version (RS2)

At some point around late 94 they started making chainrings.

RS3 came out a couple of years later -runs on 100-113mm BB - with RS4 road crank version out at the same time. Again, removable spider fitted with bolts. For a while the RS1 and RS3 were both available, with a roughly £40 price difference.

6528_120837043081_672683081_2975435_7506325_n.jpg

2227563581_e8368c5753.jpg

These were made in a couple of versions with different size logos and engravings. The machining around the BB taper area was also changed when there were problems with the original design which caused them to split. The later version har a more pronounced "tip", and didn't solve the problem.
Around the same time, the "slick shift" profiled chainrings came out.

Around 96 the "harcote" treatment came out, along with the RS3-profiled QRs which seem to be rare as hens teeth.

And that's as much as I know.

nice collection of bits in the top picture, onza pedals are next on my list of bits to find

I am probably wrong but didn't it go from RS3 to RS7 (in about 98 ) and then RS8 which is essentially just a more machined version of the RS7?

Cheers

This is all good,

Whats the difference between the originals and RS2?

Is the the RS3 billet and the RS7 forged but look basically the same?

Scrat":2nz99db8 said:
Is the the RS3 billet and the RS7 forged but look basically the same?

Yea, the RS3 was all machined, but the RS7 was forged and then machined. I think they look much the same, perhaps the RS3 is a bit more machined/angular looking.

RS2 on the left and middle, RS1 on the right:

IMG_1921.jpg

These were actually preceded by the Middleburn 'Rhino' cranks which are pretty darn rare now! Very similar shape to the RS1 cranks.

....and as a special, they made some black RS1 without logo.

Made for show bike. No idea how many made, but I have a set.

Back