Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:25 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:23 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

saulus wrote:

Those are different being Precision Billet but as you might have noticed the price smarts a bit. I've seen people looking for up to £120/30 for Proshift ones but don't know if they actually sell for that much. As I said if I really thought mine were sellable at anything close to that, they'd be gone already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:21 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Well, I found mine after a rummage in my stock of parts. They were stuffed in a jiffy bag in the hut. :wink:

You do have to take them apart as the small triangle shaped plate has one of the 3 screws, that holds the 2 main parts of shifter together, go through it. Carefully separate and you'll see how cable routes inside.

One thought springs to mind, the screws/threads may not be Metric with the shifters being made in America.
I'm not sure either way what they are just in case any of your's need to be replaced.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:39 pm 
Retro Guru

old_coyote_pedaller wrote:
I'm surprised nobody knows. :shock:

Wonder if there'd be no replies if I said I wanted to sell them. :lol:

How wonderfully cynical. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:06 pm 
Retro Guru

saulus wrote:

Those are different being Precision Billet but as you might have noticed the price smarts a bit. I've seen people looking for up to £120/30 for Proshift ones but don't know if they actually sell for that much. As I said if I really thought mine were sellable at anything close to that, they'd be gone already.

Why do you think they're different, they were only made for a couple of years so aren't they the very same?

Regarding value, a chap on here had a few a while ago and they sold easily at the price. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=177486

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:28 pm 
Retro Guru

You do have to take them apart as the small triangle shaped plate has one of the 3 screws, that holds the 2 main parts of shifter together, go through it. Carefully separate and you'll see how cable routes inside.

Thank you !

As my english is not very fluent, don't you have some pics to show please ?

Or a manual scanning ?

Thanks..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:35 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

ferrus wrote:
saulus wrote:

Why do you think they're different, they were only made for a couple of years so aren't they the very same?

Regarding value, a chap on here had a few a while ago and they sold easily at the price. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=177486

Have a look at the pic above in thread and at the Precision Billet shifters in link.
Don't they look different to you? :wink:
Not notice they have a different mounting method?
Proshift Powertwists use 2 opposing grub screws to grip on to bars, you can see the hole for one in right hand shifter in pic just next to cable entry.
The Precision Billet shifters use a clamping system similar to all other twist shifters that is IMO much better.
There are also additional screws on the rear side from grip on the Billets.

Some of their parts may be the same but they're not the very same, to me anyway. 8)

Thanks for the link regarding price, makes me feel all warm inside. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:42 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Mofofo wrote:

Thank you !

As my english is not very fluent, don't you have some pics to show please ?

Or a manual scanning ?

Thanks..

I may have a sheet of paper that came with shifters, if I still have it and it's of use I'll scan it and put it on thread.
Can't take pics at the moment but taking them apart is simple. Take out Allen screw on triangular plate first then remove all the other screws on back of shifter, hold it together till you've done that then carefully separate the 2 parts. The spring shouldn't jump out, it didn't on mine as it's in the grip part. Having pics doesn't make much difference.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:53 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Bullpup wrote:
I'm surprised nobody knows. :shock:

Wonder if there'd be no replies if I said I wanted to sell them. :lol:

How wonderfully cynical. :lol:

I'm a cynical, crabbit, auld bastard. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Have a look at the pic above in thread and at the Precision Billet shifters in link.
Don't they look different to you? :wink:
Not notice they have a different mounting method?
Proshift Powertwists use 2 opposing grub screws to grip on to bars, you can see the hole for one in right hand shifter in pic just next to cable entry.
The Precision Billet shifters use a clamping system similar to all other twist shifters that is IMO much better.
There are also additional screws on the rear side from grip on the Billets.

Some of their parts may be the same but they're not the very same, to me anyway. 8)

Thanks for the link regarding price, makes me feel all warm inside. :mrgreen:

yeah, I can see some definite differences - what I meant was aren't the Precision Billet ones actually Proshift; hadn't the company become 'Proshift' by the time the shifters were released? (..my 'Proshifts' are exactly the same as those PB ones, same clamping system etc..)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:39 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

ferrus wrote:
yeah, I can see some definite differences - what I meant was aren't the Precision Billet ones actually Proshift; hadn't the company become 'Proshift' by the time the shifters were released? (..my 'Proshifts' are exactly the same as those PB ones, same clamping system etc..)

OK, I get what you mean now. Although like you I thought PB and Proshift became the same company I didn't/don't know for sure.