Rock Lobster

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Never see them mentioned here - were they any good? Seem to remember a lot of adverts for them back in the day... I think Merlin Cycles used to sell them among others...

should have said - I mean the steel ones... and a general consensus rather than frame specific... ;)

I had one in my shed for a while. It belonged to a friend and I sold it (with him knowing!) to another friend.

It was too small for me to ride properly, but it was a nice looking steed and pretty good weightwise given the spec it was built with. The recipient friend has used it on a couple of 2 day adventure races with me, both with some hardcore mountain bike stages and it performed really well. The previous owner was a regular on some of the North Wales trails (CYB etc) and only sold it when he got a cracking deal on a new Speccy full-susser.

I always remember them performing well in the MBUK tests and being a shop-brand were great value for money.

I had a Rock Lobster back in about 94/95, got it as a frame only - £250, you could have mattallic green or dark blue, 17 or 19in - it was one of the far east built frames and not USA built, can't remember the steel used but it was excellent quality and a light build - think the frame was under 4 1/2 lbs? used for a couple of years then sold it cos it was a pain to fit a rear pannier rack - mono-stay rear - so I ended up using my old specialized more as I got into touring a bit more. Wish I kept it and sometimes search ebay for the old one's but nothing ever comes up?

:D

i had one back in 97 iirc from merlin cycles made from fuji stout lite great ride the frame was a bit flexy.now the funny think is i never sold it or gave it away but to the love of god i dont know here it is it might be in my brothers loft but i carnt remember putting it there

This is the one I loved...

Still looks good IMO.

Couldn't quite get the mag flat in the copier I'm afraid. :)

Attachments

• rocksmall.jpg
    rocksmall.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,799
Back